Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Shaomin Zhang <Sh...@tudor.com> on 2016/04/14 15:24:26 UTC

Off-heap memory usage questions

Hi

I am trying to use OFFHEAP_TIERED caches, and have this setting for the memory <property name="offHeapMaxMemory" value="#{10 * 1024L * 1024L * 1024L}"/>, virtual memory is disenabled. I have a couple questions:

1. Does this mean that 10G off-heap memory is allocated for each cache? If I have two Ignite instances on a single hard node, 20G will be allocated? What if there is not enough memory (REM) ?
2. I am using CacheMetrics. getOffHeapAllocatedSize() to report the size of the off-heap memory used. Is the reported value for the single JVM, for the all the Ignite JMVs on the single hardware node or for the whole cluster composed of server hardware nodes?

Thanks

Shaomin

This email, its contents, and any attachments transmitted with it are intended only for the addressee(s) and may be confidential and legally privileged. We do not waive any confidentiality by misdelivery. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it. You should not copy it, forward it or otherwise use the contents, attachments or information in any way. Any liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.

Tudor Capital Europe LLP (TCE) is authorised and regulated by The Financial Conduct Authority (the FCA). TCE is registered as a limited liability partnership in England and Wales No: OC340673 with its registered office at 10 New Burlington Street, London, W1S 3BE, United Kingdom

Re: Off-heap memory usage questions

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.
HI Shaomin,

I would suggest making a memory snapshot using Visual VM or a similar tool and see which objects consumes so much memory.
Make sure to explicitly trigger garbage collection (GC) before making the snapshot because sometimes GC postpones its job depending on the settings.

If it’s still unclear for you who holds 6 GB please share the snapshot and ignite configuration you use with us.

—
Denis

Posted by Shaomin Zhang <Sh...@tudor.com>.
Thank you Val.