Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Chad Shryock <g3...@cementjob.com> on 2002/12/01 00:56:30 UTC

Replicating Website

Hello,

I am trying to create a self-replicating website. Example: User A signs up
to become a member of the website. He fills out a questionnaire. He then
has a semi-custom website. (http://www.somesite.com/userA/). But the userA
directory is a virtual directory. How do I do this. I could pay and buy a
CGI/Perl program to do it, but I would like to build one myself on Java
and Struts. If someone would point me in the right direction of where to
look, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad Shryock.

Re: Replicating Website

Posted by "David M. Karr" <dm...@earthlink.net>.

    Chad> Hello,

    Chad> I am trying to create a self-replicating website. Example: User A signs up to become a member of the website. He fills out a
    Chad> questionnaire. He then has a semi-custom website. (http://www.somesite.com/userA/). But the userA directory is a virtual
    Chad> directory. How do I do this. I could pay and buy a CGI/Perl program to do it, but I would like to build one myself on Java and
    Chad> Struts. If someone would point me in the right direction of where to look, that would be greatly appreciated.

Well, you might be able to use the "pathInfo" of the servlet request to contain
the information specific to the user.  You could then use the pathInfo to load
the custom information specific to that user, and then forward to the page that
displays the customized information.

This would take some experimentation to find a strategy that really works.