Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mehmet Birgi <me...@otego.com> on 2002/05/23 10:19:29 UTC

import and commit fail with svn_error: #21106

Hi all,

I am new to this list and also to svn. I am trying to use svn for a project
where I cannot use CVS, but I have some problems. (I know that this is still
pre-alpha status, so if you think that it is just too early to use svn, just
tell me so, and I won't bother you again)

I have created a repository on the server, and could also do a "local"
import (using the file:/// protocol). Checkout of a wc from this repository
also works. What does not work is import or commit from the working copy
using the http and https protocols. I am using win2000, with downloaded
binary r1868. Here is a sample conversation:

<code>

C:\home\tmp\svn\wc>svn import http://192.168.222.200/svn/repos . testdir -m
"test import"

svn_error: #21106 : <A path under revision control is needed for this
operation>

The specified activity does not exist.

C:\home\tmp\svn\wc>svn status
A      ./foo.bar

C:\home\tmp\svn\wc>svn commit -m "test memo 001"

svn_error: #21106 : <A path under revision control is needed for this
operation>
  Commit failed (details follow):

svn_error: #21106 : <A path under revision control is needed for this
operation>

The specified activity does not exist.

C:\home\tmp\svn\wc>

</code>

Note: if I use https instead of http, the import command just hangs.

Can anyone help me?

TIA,

Memo

Re: import and commit fail with svn_error: #21106

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk> writes:

> > apr_error: #22505, src_err 0 : <Access is denied.  >
> >   error removing administrative directory for C:/home/tmp/svn/project2/lib
> >
> > C:\home\tmp\svn\project2>
> >

> > </session-transcript>
>
> I guess this is because the files under lib/.svn/ are read-only. The
> directory is deleted by calling apr_dir_remove() on lib/.  It appears
> that somewhere we have to reset the read-only status.

I should have looked at the code before responding.  The required
changes were added in rev 1893.  You are using rev 1868 I believe,
that's too old.

--
Philip

RE: import and commit fail with svn_error: #21106

Posted by Mehmet Birgi <me...@otego.com>.
I guess Philip is right, it's the read-only attribute. The same problem also
occurs when I delete directly from the repository (with the url instead of
target option) and try to update the local copy later. Using the --force
option of the delete command also doesn't help. As far as I can see, there
doesn't seem to be a simple workaround (the non-simple workaround being the
manual deletion in the working copy :-).

I will have to wait for you guys to implement a fix for this one.

Thanks anyway,

Memo

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Mehmet Birgi <me...@otego.com>.
Thanks, Greg, that helped, most remote stuff is working now. However, I came
accross another peculiarity while trying to delete a whole directory: it
seems that the .svn directory is not removed with the rest, thus giving
problems while committing:

<session-transcript>

C:\home\tmp\svn\project2>dir
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 6800-7AE5

 Directory of C:\home\tmp\svn\project2

24.05.2002  11:58       <DIR>          .
24.05.2002  11:58       <DIR>          ..
24.05.2002  11:58                   28 .cvsignore
24.05.2002  11:59       <DIR>          .svn
24.05.2002  11:58       <DIR>          bin
24.05.2002  11:58               14'995 build.xml
24.05.2002  11:58       <DIR>          docs
24.05.2002  11:58                    6 foo.bar
24.05.2002  11:59       <DIR>          lib
24.05.2002  11:58       <DIR>          project1
24.05.2002  11:58       <DIR>          src
               3 File(s)         15'029 bytes
               8 Dir(s)     444'473'344 bytes free

C:\home\tmp\svn\project2>svn del lib
D  lib/axis.jar
D  lib/log4j-core.jar
D  lib/jaxrpc.jar
D  lib/wsdl4j.jar
D  lib/xml-apis.jar
D  lib/xerces-1.4.4.jar
D  lib/commons-logging.jar
D  lib/tt-bytecode.jar
D  lib

C:\home\tmp\svn\project2>svn status
D      ./lib
D      ./lib/axis.jar
D      ./lib/commons-logging.jar
D      ./lib/jaxrpc.jar
D      ./lib/log4j-core.jar
D      ./lib/tt-bytecode.jar
D      ./lib/wsdl4j.jar
D      ./lib/xerces-1.4.4.jar
D      ./lib/xml-apis.jar

[...]

I can delete the directory without problems in the windows explorer though.
Anybody understand what's going on here?

Also, in the repository, everything is OK, so that when I checkout a new
working copy, the deleted directory is no more there.

Many thanks,

Memo

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
"Mehmet Birgi" <me...@otego.com> writes:

> C:\home\tmp\svn\wc>svn commit -m "test memo 001"
>
> svn_error: #21106 : <A path under revision control is needed for this
> operation>
>   Commit failed (details follow):
>
> svn_error: #21106 : <A path under revision control is needed for this
> operation>
>
> The specified activity does not exist.

Branko made the Win32 binary... maybe he's back from his trip, and can
offer a hypothesis?