Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Slatcher <st...@scientia.com> on 2003/01/09 18:11:27 UTC

Problem accessing user ID if Apache used to auithenticate

So I have Apache 2 passing on requests to Tomcat 4.1 using jk2.  I can get
Apache to authenicate URLs that are forwarded to Tomcat, but the user ID
seems to get lost in the process so I cannot access it from my JSPs.  I
have noticed a few references to this in various forums but no resolution.
I am not sure if I need some addtional configuration steps (what I am using
is pretty minimal), or is there nothing to be done about it short of diving
into Apache or Tomcat code?

Cheers

Steve Slatcher

Re: Problem accessing user ID if Apache used to auithenticate

Posted by Steve Slatcher <st...@scientia.com>.
Milt Epstein wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Steve Slatcher wrote:
>
>> So I have Apache 2 passing on requests to Tomcat 4.1 using jk2.  I
>> can get Apache to authenicate URLs that are forwarded to Tomcat, but
>> the user ID seems to get lost in the process so I cannot access it
>> from my JSPs.  I have noticed a few references to this in various
>> forums but no resolution.  I am not sure if I need some addtional
>> configuration steps (what I am using is pretty minimal), or is there
>> nothing to be done about it short of diving into Apache or Tomcat
>> code?
>
> I'm using Apache 1, Tomcat 4.0, and mod_jk.  On my JK connector tag as
> defined in server.xml, I had to add the attribute
> tomcatAuthentication="false" to get the user ID (via getRemoteUser) to
> be available in Tomcat.  Don't know if this is an issue with your
> (somewhat different) setup.

That certainly seems to be an attribute I will need eventually to be aware
of, so thanks for pointing it out.

For the record though it seemed my original problem was rather due to my
Java code (in some way I have not yet got to the bottom of).  On
simplifiying it ,I managed to get the user id through OK regardless.  Guess
I just noticed earlier poisting and jumped to conclusions.

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Steve Slatcher wrote:

> So I have Apache 2 passing on requests to Tomcat 4.1 using jk2.  I
> can get Apache to authenicate URLs that are forwarded to Tomcat, but
> the user ID seems to get lost in the process so I cannot access it
> from my JSPs.  I have noticed a few references to this in various
> forums but no resolution.  I am not sure if I need some addtional
> configuration steps (what I am using is pretty minimal), or is there
> nothing to be done about it short of diving into Apache or Tomcat
> code?

I'm using Apache 1, Tomcat 4.0, and mod_jk.  On my JK connector tag as
defined in server.xml, I had to add the attribute
tomcatAuthentication="false" to get the user ID (via getRemoteUser) to
be available in Tomcat.  Don't know if this is an issue with your
(somewhat different) setup.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu