Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Sanjoy Ghosh <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2010/03/24 07:32:43 UTC

Any bugs I can help on?

Hi,

I uploaded a patch for SOLR-1826.  I am planning to look at SOLR-1556  next.

I am starting to use Solr and would love to enhance my knowledge by fixing a few bugs.  But when I looked through the Open bugs on JIRA, I see that a lot of them have already been worked on.  A lot of them have patches submitted, but either the patches have not been taken into the source, or the bug has not been closed.

Could someone point out some open bugs that a newbie Solr developer could work on / fix?

Thanks,
Sanjoy

Re: Any bugs I can help on?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Hi Sanjoy, a belated welcome to solr development, and thanks for
: contributing the patches you have so far.

PS, if you haven't seen it already...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute

-Hoss

Re: Any bugs I can help on?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I am starting to use Solr and would love to enhance my knowledge by

Hi Sanjoy, a belated welcome to solr development, and thanks for
contributing the patches you have so far.

: fixing a few bugs.� But when I looked through the Open bugs on JIRA, I
: see that a lot of them have already been worked on.� A lot of them have
: patches submitted, but either the patches have not been taken into the
: source, or the bug has not been closed. � Could someone point out some

A few things to note...

1) issues are typically marked with a "RESOLVED"
status when the fix for the bug has been committed (or the feature ha been
finished and documented).  "CLOSED" is used once an official release
exists which contains that bug fiex (or new feature).  So if you are
looking for bugs that don't have fixes commited yet, confine your Jira
searches to issues with a "Resolution" of "Unresolved"

2) AS you've noticed, some "Unresolved" issues have patches attached, but
that doesn't mean that there isn't still work to do (besides committing)
... in many cases the patches are either incomplete, or don't have test
cases, or don't have documentation, or are just proof of concepts and need
"polished" to make them work better (or to improve the code quality)

If you're looking to help out on a particular issue, and a patch is
already attached, the first thing to do is see if there are already any
comments about what needs done to the patch before it's ready to commit
(we can almost always use more tests)

If a patch looks good to you, and there aren't any comments explaining why
it hasn't been commited yet, or what the committers are looking/hoping to
see changed before it gets committed, please post a comment in the issue
asking.

Welcome Abord!

-Hoss