Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Vamshikrishna T <Va...@trianz.com> on 2009/11/19 11:09:11 UTC

[users@httpd] how to install gcc required for apache 2.2 on RHEL 4

Hi,

I am installing Apache web server 2.2.14 on RHEL 4. When I am running
configure command in the apache, it is throwing error "No c++ compiler
found".

Can anyone help me on where we will get GCC and which version of it and
How to install it?

Thanks Regards,

Vamshi

Re: [users@httpd] how to install gcc required for apache 2.2 on RHEL 4

Posted by John Doe <jd...@yahoo.com>.
From: Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Philip Wigg wrote:
> >> I am installing Apache web server 2.2.14 on RHEL 4. When I am running
> >> configure command in the apache, it is throwing error “No c++ compiler
> >> found”.
> >
> > This isn't an Apache question but anyway, you probably just need to
> > type 'up2date gcc'. Unless there's a reason why you want to install
> > Apache from source, you can probably also type 'up2date httpd' to
> > install Apache instead of building your own. Make sure you patch your
> > system up to date after you've done that.
> >
> I used Fedora, which is closely related to red-hat. I'm not sure was
> up2date is, but if that doesn't work, you should be able to use yum,
> like `yum install gcc`, as the super user. As Phil said, you can also
> install apache directly with `yum install httpd` (notice the package
> isn't called apache).

I suspect apache 2.2 (as opposed to 2.0) is not available by default for RH4...
Also, he may need: gcc-c++
And maybe he could try: http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/rpm/

JD

Re: [users@httpd] how to install gcc required for apache 2.2 on RHEL 4

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Philip Wigg <ph...@philipwigg.co.uk> wrote:
>> I am installing Apache web server 2.2.14 on RHEL 4. When I am running
>> configure command in the apache, it is throwing error “No c++ compiler
>> found”.
>
> This isn't an Apache question but anyway, you probably just need to
> type 'up2date gcc'. Unless there's a reason why you want to install
> Apache from source, you can probably also type 'up2date httpd' to
> install Apache instead of building your own. Make sure you patch your
> system up to date after you've done that.
>
> Cheers,
> Phil.

I used Fedora, which is closely related to red-hat. I'm not sure was
up2date is, but if that doesn't work, you should be able to use yum,
like `yum install gcc`, as the super user. As Phil said, you can also
install apache directly with `yum install httpd` (notice the package
isn't called apache).

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net