Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/11/03 14:37:44 UTC

[EXPERIMENT] Moving Incubator Website from CMS to gitpubsub

All,

I started a little experiment to move the incubator website from CMS to
git.  There's a few reasons I've looked at it.  First, I've seen a lot of
cases where people commit changes to the various control files
(podlings.xml, {podling}.xml) without running the necessary CMS steps to
publish the website.  I've personally not seen any benefit to leveraging
the CMS UI and the staging area.  I would personally prefer to leverage git
for source control over svn, its what people are using more actively these
days.

We did some preliminary research.  Since the CMS is calling build scrips
via buildbot, its very easy to point a new buildbot config that can run the
website via git.

So I'm wondering, from the broader iPMC and the users of our website, is
there any interest in moving, or is there a preference to stay on CMS and
SVN?

John

Re: [EXPERIMENT] Moving Incubator Website from CMS to gitpubsub

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 3:56 AM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I'd also seek out
> some usability style testing from other users to make sure they're
> comfortable before doing anything permanent...

I should be able to help with that, at least.
-Bertrand

Re: [EXPERIMENT] Moving Incubator Website from CMS to gitpubsub

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:03 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > ...is there any interest in moving, or is there a preference to stay on
> CMS and
> > SVN?...
>
> I'm for moving, but won't have time to help much at this time.

Hi,

So right now, the big step is the actual repo conversion.  For a simple
POC, I was going to just copy latest and use that.  My machine gave up
after 46k revisions trying to do a git-svn conversion of the incubator.

Other than potentially asking for infra help on doing the git conversion,
and the actual setup of domains, not much would be needed.  Probably some
doc updates (how to update the site would change a bit).  I'd also seek out

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.