Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com> on 2004/10/07 21:30:03 UTC

XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox

Folks,

on the request of Daniel Florey I'd like to create at least one new
sandbox component for a tool that allows easy import / export of XML
into / from Java. It is used by Jakarta Slide and in the components
Daniel introduced.

I know this is a bit delicate as there already is Digester around in
commons. However, the audience for my tool is different from
Digester's. XML Im-/Exporter is geared towards high performance use
for people who are very familiar with XML. It is just a little bit
more than pure SAX. It also has a different philosohie than Digester.

Having said that I hope not to cause any inconvenience with this...

Preparing this now  and cheers,

Oliver

Re: AW: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:31:44 +0200, Daniel Florey <da...@web.de> wrote:
> As I know Oliver Zeigermann for a long time and he really is the master of
> xml/sgml I everyone should give xmlio (good name indeed) a try.

I am certainly far from being a master in anything, but thanks for the
flattery ;)

> Personally I like technologies that keep it very simple so that you
> understand at the first sight what's going on without hiding too much
> implicit logic.

That's what it was designed for.

> As I stated earlier we have used Digester in a large project where a lot xml
> parsing took place and we had some trouble with it (but that's some time
> ago).
> So I'd vote for putting the xmlio into the sandbox and let everybody have a
> look at it. Even if it will never make it to commons components, it is worth
> to have a look at its simplicity.

Agreed. Let me put it there and if it turns out to be crap or
unusable, we can certainly abondon it.

Oliver

Re: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
If you're looking for something simple, you may want to check out
http://xstream.codehaus.org/ as well.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi Simon,

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.

> [...]

library dependencies that there isn't a light *distributable package*
containing just the core Digester classes.

I'm certainly not trying to criticise xmlio; I'm just concerned that
multiple projects will both dilute the available developer pool and
confuse potential users. And all that extra work - unit tests, project
website, etc! If the projects are truly providing different
functionality, well there's no issue. But as I understand xmlio now, I
think that exactly the same goal can be achieved with almost exactly the
same amount of custom code with both libs.

Oliver: do you feel that the fact that Digester does "sax event
dispatching" while xmlio doesn't really make the lib feel different to
you? (honest question, it is a slightly different paradigm, like OO vs
procedural). Is there something else that makes you feel Digester is

Cheers,

Simon

Re: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 07:59:53 +0100, robert burrell donkin
<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> 3 alternatives are good but direct competitors are bad. we are short of
> developer energy here in the commons and components in the same area
> should share a community and coorperate rather than fight for mind
> share. fights for mind share between direct open source competitors can
> turn very nasty. we've (so far) managed to keep quite a healthy
> community here in the commons and i'm very keen to keep it this way.
> therefore, saying that xmlio needs a place in the commons because it's
> better than digester does make me worried. in the past, components
> pushed in this manner have tended to end up finding homes elsewhere.

Who said xmlio is better than digester? I have never even indicated
anything in that direction and Daniel said he perferred the xmlio
philisophy over digester. Really, no competition at all. Both work by
reading in XML and providing it to you in a transformed way and this
is where what they have in common ends.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
a few comments:

1 in the sandbox, anything goes.

2 if i18n depends on xmlio then xmlio needs to promoted and released
before i18n is. so, it's important that xmlio has a good chance of
being promoted and that any possible issues are discussed now.

[...]

- robert

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
I actually have no opinion about having multiple libraries that (almost)
server the same purpose, but with regards to the i18n project, I plan to add
the ability to tell it to use Digester (instead of the default) so you won't
actually need xmlio.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.

[digester] AW: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
Could be, but if it already works (with SAX I guess) and it is
maintainable there is not need for a change. xmlio just makes SAX so
much easier and convernient to use.

Oliver

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
Ah, now I understand your fears. Just another XML->Java mapper flying
around ih the user list: <http://beck.sourceforge.net/>. However,
xmlio is not a mapper to Java objects, you just receiver augmented SAX
call backs. Enough talk, I will prepare something now...

Oliver

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 11:27, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> One of the key items in the commons charter is allowing different solutions
> to the same problem. So far, we have tended to avoid this (for example, I
> took a conflicting primitives design elsewhere) however we should not block
> this.
>
> What is being requested at this point is to factor out some code from
> another project (Slide) to commons. This is IMHO perfectly good and what
> commons is for. The code is going to the sandbox where we can all determine
> whether it is a good addition to the commons-proper fold. (eg. performance
> tests, code design, documentation). Who knows maybe the ideas will end up as
> digester 2! IMO thats what the sandbox is for.

I'll certainly have a look at the code to see how it compares with
Digester. Like some others I am concerned by the large number of
xml->java facilities around (and not just Apache ones), and am not sure
the world needs another one. But I know the Slide team are pretty smart,
so I'm very curious what this alternative "simple" approach is..

> Finally, the name ;-)
> xmlio  (ie. xml io)
> sax
> saxio

saxy? :-)

Re: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.