Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by "DeTerra, David J" <da...@boeing.com> on 2006/03/08 02:27:18 UTC

Selective APR build

If I was looking to leave out certain packages of the apr build, what
would anyone recommend as the best way to approach this within the apr
build system.

Thanks,
David

Re: Selective APR build

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
DeTerra, David J wrote:

> I have been trying to compile the subset using the --without-PACKAGE
> flags for each of the packages that I do not believe are necessary,
> however, after running the configure script with these flags, it appears
> as though the flags are not having any effect since the components are
> built anyways.  Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me get
> on my way?

I'm afraid that --without-PACKAGE was a planned-not-implemented feature,
due as I mentioned before to the shift of direction.  We are always happy
to consider patches, I see you found our irc home to have a direct dialog
of ideas.  Just be sure to recap here the net suggestions you have in terms
of patches and so forth, as official discussion is all on-list.  irc is more
for brainstorming and bringing some threshed-out ideas back to the list.

Bill

RE: Selective APR build

Posted by "DeTerra, David J" <da...@boeing.com>.
Ok, as a follow on to this, and I apologize for sounding somewhat
ignorant, I am attempting to build a scaled down version of the apr
libraries for use within an embedded platform, so I am not necessarily
worried about system-wide installations, although I do appreciate the
concern.

I have been trying to compile the subset using the --without-PACKAGE
flags for each of the packages that I do not believe are necessary,
however, after running the configure script with these flags, it appears
as though the flags are not having any effect since the components are
built anyways.  Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me get
on my way?

Thanks,
David

> If I was looking to leave out certain packages of the apr build, what
> would anyone recommend as the best way to approach this within the apr

> build system.

Any approach you like as long as it isn't installed to a system path,
e.g. /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib.  Because it's a portability library
intended for multiple consumers, selective component builds are not that
healthy for the shared environment.

Re: Selective APR build

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.