Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Bret Busby <br...@busby.net> on 2012/10/26 08:29:18 UTC

Has anyone managed to get the spellchecking working

Hello.

I am running Open Office 3 on Debian 6 ;

"
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
ooo-build 3.2.1.4, Debian package 1:3.2.1-11+squeeze7
"

I have not been able to get the spellchecking working.

All of the switches are set, for the spell checking to work, and to
"check spelling as you type", but, even if I manually try to get the
spell checker to check a document, it simply tells me that it has
completed, but it does not pick up any errors.

Has anyone managed to get the spellchecker working in Open Offioce
writer 3.x, and, if so, what does it take, to get it to work?

I have even enabled the unknown (to me) dictionary of Attilla the Hun or
whatever it is, that is the first dictionary listed, in addition to the
standard dictionary, but every possible spelling is apparently allowed,
and no spellchecking appears to occur.

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Has anyone managed to get the spellchecking working

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 10/26/2012 02:29 AM, Bret Busby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am running Open Office 3 on Debian 6 ;
>
> "
> OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
> OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
> ooo-build 3.2.1.4, Debian package 1:3.2.1-11+squeeze7
> "
>
> I have not been able to get the spellchecking working.
>
> All of the switches are set, for the spell checking to work, and to
> "check spelling as you type", but, even if I manually try to get the
> spell checker to check a document, it simply tells me that it has
> completed, but it does not pick up any errors.
>
> Has anyone managed to get the spellchecker working in Open Offioce
> writer 3.x, and, if so, what does it take, to get it to work?
>
> I have even enabled the unknown (to me) dictionary of Attilla the Hun
> or whatever it is, that is the first dictionary listed, in addition to
> the standard dictionary, but every possible spelling is apparently
> allowed, and no spellchecking appears to occur.
>
> Thank you in anticipation.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
> ..

OO 3.4.0  Here's just a few words:

Hello, tset, this is just a test.

Notice that it caught the misspelled second word.  I haven't done
anything to the program to make this work, I just
installed it and there it is, running on PCLinuxOS, 32-bit, KDE.

--doug

Re: Has anyone managed to get the spellchecking working

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 26/10/2012 Bret Busby wrote:
> I have not been able to get the spellchecking working.

You might simply need to reset your user profile: close OpenOffice, then
$ mv ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.org.old
then restart OpenOffice and a new profile will be created.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Has anyone managed to get the spellchecking working

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 27/10/2012 12:02, Bret Busby a écrit :
> Perhaps, Hagar, on your web page, you could include something like "When using Linux, check in your package manager, by searching in the package manager, for openoffice, that you have a dictionary of the appropriate language, installed" ?
>
> That would then provide for idiots like me, who do not first check that component, that I should have checked before raising the query.

In fact, AOO as delivered with the official packages doesn't need such extra step, it should work out of the box. I don't really trust the work done by distros that explode the initial packages in other sub-packages, that's why I prefer the standard way through a 100% application method.

Hagar

Re: Has anyone managed to get the spellchecking working

Posted by Bret Busby <br...@busby.net>.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012, Hagar Delest wrote:

> Le 27/10/2012 09:12, Bret Busby a �crit :
>> Is a UK English spelling dictionary extension, available for Open Office
>> 3.x ?
> The default dictionary includes the UK flavor. Once installed, you'll see the
> different English versions.

I found the problem.

After having posted my last previous message in this thread, in thinking
about the extensions, I thought "what about looking in the Debian
package repository, for an extension?".

So, I ran Synaptic, and searched on Openoffice, and found, that I did
not have installed, myspell-GB, which I installed (and a couple of other
packages), then I ran Open Office Writer, and typed in a couple of
mispelled words, and they were marked, and entered "center", which was
marked as an error, and, entered "centre" which was not marked as an
error.

Thus, it is shown that I now have the spellchecker working, with
English-UK (or, English-GB, whichever a person wants to name it).

So it appears to have been my own stupid fault, for not having properly
checked that I had a dictionary installed.

Sorry about the inconvenience caused by my query.

Perhaps, Hagar, on your web page, you could include something like "When
using Linux, check in your package manager, by searching in the package
manager, for openoffice, that you have a dictionary of the appropriate
language, installed" ?

That would then provide for idiots like me, who do not first check that
component, that I should have checked before raising the query.

Now, if only I could figure out how to get the spellchecker working in
alpine (my primary email application) - but that is another matter, and,
not appropriate for this mailing list.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 27/10/2012 09:12, Bret Busby a écrit :
> Is a UK English spelling dictionary extension, available for Open Office 3.x ?
The default dictionary includes the UK flavor. Once installed, you'll see the different English versions.

> On the web page at http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport , and on the web page at http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/node/874/releases , the only Linux version for a 64 bit computer, for which provision is made, appears to be "Linux x86-64" .
>
> I am running Debian Linux 6.0.x on an AMD64 architecture.
>
> Is a version of the "Oracle PDF Import Extension" available for the AMD64 architecture?
Linux x86-64 also applies to AMD64.

Hagar

Re: Has anyone managed to get the spellchecking working

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 15:12:01 +0800 (WST)
Bret Busby <br...@busby.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012, Hagar Delest wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 02:29:16
> > From: Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>
> > To: ooo-users@incubator.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: Has anyone managed to get the spellchecking working
> >
> > Some hints with screenshots here also:
> > http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16512
> >
> > Hagar
> >

> > Le 26/10/2012 08:29, Bret Busby a écrit :
> >
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I am running Open Office 3 on Debian 6 ;
> >>
> >> "
> >> OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
> >> OOO320m19 (Build:9505)
> >> ooo-build 3.2.1.4, Debian package 1:3.2.1-11+squeeze7
> >> "
> >>
> >> I have not been able to get the spellchecking working.
> >>
> >> All of the switches are set, for the spell checking to work, and to "check
> >> spelling as you type", but, even if I manually try to get the spell checker
> >> to check a document, it simply tells me that it has completed, but it does
> >> not pick up any errors.
> >>
> >> Has anyone managed to get the spellchecker working in Open Offioce writer
> >> 3.x, and, if so, what does it take, to get it to work?
> >>
> >> I have even enabled the unknown (to me) dictionary of Attilla the Hun or
> >> whatever it is, that is the first dictionary listed, in addition to the
> >> standard dictionary, but every possible spelling is apparently allowed, and
> >> no spellchecking appears to occur.
> >>
> >> Thank you in anticipation.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bret Busby
> >> Armadale
> >> West Australia
> >>
> >> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
> >>   you'll know what the answer means."
> >> - Deep Thought,
> >>    Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
> >>    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
> >>    A Trilogy In Four Parts",
> >>    written by Douglas Adams,
> >>    published by Pan Books, 1992
> >>

> Hello.
>
> Thank you for that.
>
> That looks like it would lead to the solution.
>
> In checking, the extension appears to be missing in my installation.
>
> However;
>
> In the Extension Manager, the link with the label "Get more extensions
> online, leads to http://extensions.libreoffice.org/getmore?cid=920794
> , which does not resolve.
>
> In searching for "extensions for openoffice writer" - not as a
> contiguous string, but, as separate, individual words, I get results
> that include http://extensions.openoffice.org/ , which includes a
> dictionary for "US English Spell Checking Dictionary" , but appears to
> not include "UK English Spell Checking Dictionary".
>
> Is a UK English spelling dictionary extension, available for Open Office
> 3.x ?

There is an extension available, an English dictionary based on the OED, at
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/node/1890

> Also, I note with interest, the extension that is listed on the web page
> at http://extensions.openoffice.org/ ;
> "Oracle PDF Import Extension", of which, the description appears to be
> quite impressive. I have used PDFedit, but have been obly able to
> perform minimal editing - changing a couple of words in a document, at a
> time.

As I understand it, the capabilities of the PDF import extension are limited; it is intended to allow small cosmetic changes, much as one might make by pasting a small slip of paper over an existing document and photocopying.  It does not have the ability to resolve the structure of the PDF document.  If I have to modify a PDF I use a dedicated tool, such as Adobe Acrobat; I have needed to do this so rarely I have not looked for more recent public domain applications.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Has anyone managed to get the spellchecking working

Posted by Bret Busby <br...@busby.net>.

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.