Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2011/05/21 08:10:41 UTC

Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.1.0-incubating release candidate #3

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 09:46:22PM -0700, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
> I've addressed all comments raised from RC #2:
>
> >From Marvin and Joe:
>
> 1. fix messed up tag names
> 2. fix messed up branch names
> 3. pay attention and stop listening to Lady Gaga

+1 to release RC3.

Other parties interested in reviewing Lucy's inaugural release should consider
visiting <http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/ReleaseVerification>, a page put
together at the suggestion of Mentor Chris Hostetter, which documents the
process by which we evaluate release artifacts and includes a recipe for
building and testing Lucy on a Unixy system with Perl 5.10 or above installed.

Per ReleaseVerification and its companion page ReleasePrep:

  * MD5, SHA1, signature all check out.
  * Lucy builds and tests clean.
  * Autogenerated CPAN artifacts also build and test fine and include all
    important files.
  * Clean RAT report at <http://ci.apache.org/projects/lucy/rat-output.html>.
  * Double-checked NOTICE and LICENSE.
  * NOTICE has an up-to-date copyright.
  * CHANGES file up-to-date.
  * Other ReleasePrep tasks checked earlier:
     o Issue tracker clean.
     o "test_valgrind" build target passes.
     o Portable to OSX/GCC, OSX/Clang, Windows7/MSVC, CentOS5/GCC.

As noted on IRC, the tarball expands to a folder with "-rc3" in the name, but
that's not a blocker IMO.  The glitch is in the ReleaseGuide recipe, so a fix
for that document is in order.  Also as discussed on IRC, it seems sane to
script as much of that as we can.

Thanks for sticking with it, Chris!  Please enjoy your Lady Gaga -- you've
earned it.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.1.0-incubating release candidate #3

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 5/23/11 2:41 PM:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:56:11AM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
>> In file included from xs/XSBind.c:19:
>>
>> xs/XSBind.h:226:13: warning: missing terminating ' character
>>
>> xs/XSBind.h:232:13: warning: missing terminating ' character
>
> That's the #error line in this block:
>
>     #if (CHY_SIZEOF_CHAR == 1)
>       #define XSBIND_WANT_CHAR XSBIND_WANT_I8
>     #else
>       #error Can't build unless sizeof(char) == 1
>     #endif
>
> The message should probably be double-quoted.

done in r1126821.

> This is our first release.  Nobody has any CPAN dependency chains that are
> going to break because Lucy starts failing.  And sloppy code can actually be
> good for a project.  (There's some Apache aphorism to the tune of "bad code
> plus good people equals successful project" that I'm unable to recall just
> this moment.)

+1 to that.

it's just one more step on the road to 0.2.0! :)

My original +1 for RC3 stands.

Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.1.0-incubating release candidate #3

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 10:56:11AM -0500, Peter Karman wrote:
> In file included from xs/XSBind.c:19:
>
> xs/XSBind.h:226:13: warning: missing terminating ' character
>
> xs/XSBind.h:232:13: warning: missing terminating ' character

That's the #error line in this block:

    #if (CHY_SIZEOF_CHAR == 1)
      #define XSBIND_WANT_CHAR XSBIND_WANT_I8
    #else
      #error Can't build unless sizeof(char) == 1
    #endif

The message should probably be double-quoted.

> and then, fatally,
>
> t/001-build_indexes.t ................ Lucy object version 0.001000 does
> not match bootstrap parameter 0.001 at
> /usr/local/perl/589/lib/5.8.9/i686-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 249.
>

> which seems to be a bug with the XSLoader 0.10 in Perl 5.8.9 on my
> machine, for which 0.001000 != 0.001.
>
> The fix is to update our devel/bin/update_version script to catch the
> version string in lib/Lucy.pm. I can do that for future, but not sure
> whether this constitutes a need to withdraw my +1 or not.
>
> Thoughts?

Nice catch, diagnosis, and fix.  :)

In my opinion, this is not a blocker -- though I'll go along if others
disagree.

This is our first release.  Nobody has any CPAN dependency chains that are
going to break because Lucy starts failing.  And sloppy code can actually be
good for a project.  (There's some Apache aphorism to the tune of "bad code
plus good people equals successful project" that I'm unable to recall just
this moment.)

This is also certainly not our last portability bug -- but I don't think that
iterating during the current release voting cycle to fix such problems would
go well.  It costs too much to keep rerolling, tagging, voting, etc.

If we weren't inside Apache, we could do a dev release to CPAN and see what
the CPAN Testers smoke out.  But since that's not an option, I think we should
just plan to examine the reports for 0.1.0 and work aggressively to release
0.1.1 with portability fixes in a couple of weeks.

For 0.2.0 and beyond, I think we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.
But the way to do that is to set up continuous integration, buildbots, smoke
testing, and so on, to get most portability work done well in advance of the
release voting cycle.  Once we're already verifying clean builds on a regular
basis, then blocking a release on a portability error makes more sense.

Being at Apache means that we have a lot of great infrastructure we can take
advantage of.  We're already using buildbot in two places: generating our RAT
report, and generating the new CMS website whenever we commit changes.  It's
also possible to use buildbot to build and run tests:

    http://ci.apache.org/buildbot.html

We should open an issue to look into getting that set up.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.1.0-incubating release candidate #3

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Peter Karman wrote on 05/21/2011 09:45 AM:
> Marvin Humphrey wrote on 5/21/11 1:10 AM:
>
>> +1 to release RC3.
>
> +1

Tested on Linux Centos 5.5 with locally-compiled perl 5.10.0. All tests
pass with no warnings.

However, tested on Ubuntu 9.04 with locally-compiled perl 5.8.9:

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 5/21/11 1:10 AM:

> +1 to release RC3.

+1

Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.1.0-incubating release candidate #3

Posted by "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com>.
On May 21, 2011, at 10:40 AM, David E. Wheeler wrote:

> On May 21, 2011, at 2:10 AM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
>
>> +1 to release RC3.
>
> +1

Oh and the checksum checks out and the whole thing builds (with no warnings, impressive!) for me on Mac OS X 10.6.7 and tests pass:

All tests successful.
Files=169, Tests=10465, 21 wallclock secs ( 1.58 usr  0.78 sys + 15.75 cusr  2.96 csys = 21.07 CPU)
Result: PASS

Best,

David

Re: [lucy-dev] [VOTE] Apache Lucy 0.1.0-incubating release candidate #3

Posted by "David E. Wheeler" <da...@kineticode.com>.
On May 21, 2011, at 2:10 AM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> +1 to release RC3.

+1