Posted to general@lucene.apache.org by BKishore <ki...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/14 12:25:22 UTC

Sub indices in Lucene

Hi,

     I'm using Lucene 1.4 version. I have a requirement like, there should
be a provision to store the indices based on some category. For ex: Storing
all the "Computer Science" related index files in one location,
"Electronics" related indexes in another location etc.. The user will give
the same category along with the search string while searching. Is it
possible in lucene that based on this 'category', to search only in this
specific categorized index files so that, I'll get only those files relating
to this category ??

Thanks in advance,
Kishore.

Lucene indexes in memory

Posted by Deepa Paranjpe <de...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Hi all,

I want to understand how lucene searches its index -- does it load the whole
index into memory at once? Is there any way to make sure that it does so.

I want to optimize maximally on the search time required by lucene on over
~7M short documents. The queries that I deal are 6 to 7 tokens on an
average.

Your help on this will be appreciated.

-Deepa

Re: Sub indices in Lucene

Posted by Fredrik Andersson <fi...@gmail.com>.
This is functionality you would build upon Lucene. I.e, when a document is
dropped to the indexing module, you check the category and append the
document to an appropriate index. You can then search multiple indices with
one searcher or with multiple searchers. Also, Lucene 1.4 is kinda old...
welcome to 2007 :)