Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/12/14 21:22:41 UTC

thoughts on new site

I discovered the new site that was committed. It's a comprehensive start
for the user facing side - thanks!

I have some random thoughts:
- Is listing the private addresses appropriate on this page? There isn't
really a precedent for listing a members only list on a public page,
even if it is moderated, nor something like jcp-open that doesn't have a
public archive.
- would it be more appropriate to put this content under the asylum in
the long run? (not sure its necessary - just a thought)

Two things I'd like to do ASAP:
1) set up the jsr277 list that was proposed as a way to collaborate.
There are at least 2 or 3 people not already on the EG that would be
interested to hear more on the progress. I realise this isn't the ideal,
but its a reasonable way to discuss with others (under NDA) when the
spec lead hasn't allowed multiple representatives as is the case here.
I'm more than happy to filter the content through and pass on any
feedback and thoughts, and experiment until we find a workable solution
given the constraints.
2) I'd like to play around with adding content related to the below to
the site - but I don't want to put anything in that svn repo that isn't
decided on. Is this an appropriate forum for discussion or can we get
together and work through it?

There were also a bunch of points in previous emails that seemed to get
lost. I'd like to revisit as I didn't get any feedback.

Does it make sense to set up a PMC-like committee that can share some of
the responsibilities? I'm not exactly sure how the PRC is defined or
operates, but it might be similar. It seems to me that we should have
these lists:
 - private. To be discussed only with those under NDA (not necessarily
members, if this is allowed - those that fit the 2 categories I listed
above)
 - public. Only committers can subscribe, but a public archive
available. For discussing apache's process, participation and to provide
feedback on JSRs of interest. Kind of like legal-discuss. Would be good
to be as open as possible, without violating the trust of any EG's, so
members of the private group need to be prudent.
 - jsrXXX-discuss. One per JSR where requested and multiple reps can't be on an EG. Only NDA'd individuals,
but so more Apache people can discuss individual JSRs even if only one
can be on an EG.

> * An EG representative should give quarterly reports to this list

The JCP VP is meant to report to the board in Feb, May, Aug, Nov, though
I'm not aware of whether this happens. Geir, can you shed some light on
this? Anyway, it seems the perfect opportunity to provide feedback and
issues, to the extent possible given that board reports go public after
some time.

Also some of Dain's suggestions:

Openness
>  * Publicly document the process to join an EG
>  * Publicly document the requirements of an person representing Apache
>  * All administrative communication between Apache and the JCP should be
> copied to this (or the private) list

> * This list should discuss and vote to propose Apache sponsored
> specifications

> > Voting
> >  * This list should discuss all votes on the EC and decide how Apache
> > will cast it's vote

I agree with all these, though the part about administrative
communication might be a bit difficult - instead I think a summary of
important things (not resorting to the 3-monthly report) would be the
best way here.

Thoughts?

- Brett

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2005, at 12:22 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>
>> I discovered the new site that was committed. It's a comprehensive start
>> for the user facing side - thanks!
>
> Yah - it's live on www to make it easier for people to see/read, but not
> linked yet.  Seems like no major disasters in there, so I'll link it.

Could I kill the following page at Jakarta?

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jspa-position.html

and link over from Jakarta to the jcp site?

Hen

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> This was always an open list.
*sigh*

I don't know what "open" is supposed to mean. Even the recent page you
put up suggested that it was open to all committers, not the public.

I'm not particularly interested in arguing semantics, I've suggested it
be recreated identically to legal-discuss, but go ahead and do what you
want (or leave it as is and fix the archiving process). As long as the
documentation == intention == reality, I'm happy :)

> "next" as opposed to "this".  In two months.  Happy Holidays.
Thanks, that always catches me.

> Both.  How it fits, and more importantly, what's the hangup.  I hear
> that there's quite a bit of interesting politics there, but am not
> privy to the details, of course.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what's the hangup". Anyway, I'll send you
a quick summary.

> Don't worry about board report this time unless there's something very
> urgent that you believe will require board action before the end of
> the year (which I would argue is pointless given most of the western
> world is shut down for the next two weeks.)
No, there's absolutely nothing urgent.

- Brett

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 18, 2005, at 5:27 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> * jcp-discuss@apache.org - only committers and their guests can
>>> subscribe, subscription is moderated, archives are public
>>> * jcp-internal@apache.org - members only list for discussion of
>>> Apache's
>>> involvement in the JCP, private archives
>>
>> That would work, although we could rename this to -discuss and leave
>> the other one alone.  Doesn't matter that much on the latter.
> That's fine with me.
>
> The only question is whether to move the current list, or start again.
> Given that some have been under the impression that this would be an
> internal list, and there has been some growing pains and a few too
> many
> pre-coffee postings, it might be better to start over rather than toss
> the archives out to Google. For mine, I'm fine either way, but I'm not
> sure if everyone will feel the same.

This was always an open list.

>> I'll probably ask for them for the next board meeting to give people
>> warning and the change.
> Ok. That's this Wednesday, right? That's not a lot of time, as I'd
> expect they'd want the report some time in advance?

"next" as opposed to "this".  In two months.  Happy Holidays.

>> BTW, if you'd like to fill us in on the OSGi situation in 277, I'm
>> all
>> ears...
> Can you elaborate on what you see as the "OSGi situation"? Do you
> want a
> general overview of how OSGi fits with the JSR, or do you have a
> specific question or concern?

Both.  How it fits, and more importantly, what's the hangup.  I hear
that there's quite a bit of interesting politics there, but am not
privy to the details, of course.

> I'm not comfortable discussing any details of the JSR right now on a
> list that might be made public, because as it stands, everything is
> confidential. I can send you a private response, and will as part
> of my
> email to Stanley come up with an arrangement for what I can share as
> part of a board report.

Don't worry about board report this time unless there's something
very urgent that you believe will require board action before the end
of the year (which I would argue is pointless given most of the
western world is shut down for the next two weeks.)

Re the other, I'm personally interested, but if you think it has
broader interest, post that to jcp@ as well, so at least the
membership can review if they are interested...

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 17, 2005, at 4:34 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> I have some random thoughts:
>>> - Is listing the private addresses appropriate on this page?
>>> There isn't
>>> really a precedent for listing a members only list on a public page,
>>> even if it is moderated, nor something like jcp-open that doesn't
>>> have a
>>> public archive.
>>
>> Addresses of the people representing us?  I thought about this and
>> figured we could work it out.  I see no issue if we use the apache id
>> of the reps.  Is that what you meant?
>>
> No, I meant the jcp/jcp-open lists. I've heard previously some
> reluctance to list the members only addresses, svn locations, etc. on
> public sites. I don't have a personal problem with it, was just
> curious.

I can't see much harm other than confusion, nor much benefit though.

> [...]

> get hit
> by a bus? (I was disturbed with the frequency with which my former
> boss
> used that expression about me - I always look both ways now :)
>
> I'm not saying any of those are imminent, and I trust that if they
> were
> you'd be taking the necessary action. But they also tend to sneak
> up so
> sharing the load can only be a good thing.
>>
>> Yes, we do need a heartbeat from the EG reps.  I don't want to see
>> that the EG rep is required to report all technical status - that's
>> really out of scope for the ASF-level interest, and if people are
>> interested, they should get on a jsrXXX list, to which the EG rep
>> might post a technical summary to those on the list, but I would
>> leave
>> that up to the group on the jsrXXX list, how they want to work.
> +1
>>
>> As for my report to the board, this is a new thing and I'll be doing
>> this month (I moved it to Dec from last month).
> Ok, I didn't notice it was only added in October. Is this a once off
> move to Dec, or will it move to that 3 monthly rotation?
>
> Is there any info you need from us before then? I really like the way
> Jakarta does their board reports, getting everyone to fill in their
> own
> pieces. If you would like to include the JSR heartbeats in this
> report,
> then editing a file in SVN seems like a good way to assemble the
> report
> and get feedback from the group in advance.

I'll probably ask for them for the next board meeting to give people
warning and the change.

BTW, if you'd like to fill us in on the OSGi situation in 277, I'm
all ears...

>>> I agree with all these, though the part about administrative
>>> communication might be a bit difficult - instead I think a
>>> summary of
>>> important things (not resorting to the 3-monthly report) would be
>>> the
>>> best way here.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> I think that you'll find it isn't as interesting as you may suspect.
>> EG reps should throw exceptions for trouble they are having that they
>> want help with to this list (and a good thing to note on the page,
>> btw!), but historically we've had little problem.  (What we have had
>> is me hearing about a problematic EG rep - this happened years ago -
>> but the JCP knows how to handle that...)   I've been writing
>> summaries
>> of administrative things to this list now that I know that there's
>> interest, and encouraging people to bring their interest here (we
>> should see someone wanting to be on JSR-199) pop up here soon.
>>
> I'm not suggesting it would be interesting :) I agree we don't need to
> know everything, but I think some exposure to it is helpful in getting

Well, it's here on this list from now on.  Just keep reading.

>> I'd suggest we just iterate and improve as time goes on.
> +1
>
> Thanks Geir. Sorry we didn't have a greater opportunity to discuss
> this
> as a group at ApacheCon, though its good that everyone could be
> involved
> here.

Yep

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 16, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> On Dec 14, 2005, at 12:22 PM, Brett Porter wrote:
>>
>> Yes, we do need a heartbeat from the EG reps.  I don't want to see
>> that the
>
> +1 to the heartbeat. a) it's good to know for you and the board, b)
> it's good to know for PR (show off our jcp involvement) and c) it's
> good to know for asf committers (make them aware of the maturation
> of a jsr).
>
>> EG rep is required to report all technical status - that's really
>> out of scope for the ASF-level interest, and if people are
>> interested, they should
>
> Report on events I'd say (wonder where I get that from :) ).
>
> So when they move to a new status in the JSR process, or there are
> people problems to report then.

The status is public info, and people problems on an expert group we
aren't leading is something the spec lead should take care of, and
only escalate to the ASF if the spec lead isn't handling it in a
professional way.

>> As for my report to the board, this is a new thing and I'll be
>> doing this month (I moved it to Dec from last month).
>
> Publishable? Or likely to often be discussing private issues.

Publishable if a board report.

> --
>
> JSR-162 is on the licsnsed page twice.

thx, and it's wrong.  I meant 168.  162 was one that was abandoned
when it became a tool measuring contest between big companies and
several combined, IIRC.  Fixed.

> Should we be linking to the projects that license a TCK? Also a
> section that links to the projects that implement a JSR?

I had the latter on my to-do list (the other thing is to list
projects that have formally tested).  Former, only the ASF licenses
TCKs, but every project that implements a JSR should be testing as
per the terms of the spec license.

I was going to use the above to start hunting down projects and
making them test....

> Probably something special and prominent for official reference
> implementations.

Yes, but we only have one, Pluto. Code from Tomcat is used in the RI,
but it isn't the RI.  Same w/ Jackrabbit AFAIK.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 14, 2005, at 12:22 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> I discovered the new site that was committed. It's a comprehensive
> start
> for the user facing side - thanks!

Yah - it's live on www to make it easier for people to see/read, but
not linked yet.  Seems like no major disasters in there, so I'll link
it.

> I have some random thoughts:
> - Is listing the private addresses appropriate on this page? There
> isn't
> really a precedent for listing a members only list on a public page,
> even if it is moderated, nor something like jcp-open that doesn't
> have a
> public archive.

Addresses of the people representing us?  I thought about this and
figured we could work it out.  I see no issue if we use the apache id
of the reps.  Is that what you meant?

> - would it be more appropriate to put this content under the asylum in
> the long run? (not sure its necessary - just a thought)

Which content?

> Two things I'd like to do ASAP:
> 1) set up the jsr277 list that was proposed as a way to collaborate.
> There are at least 2 or 3 people not already on the EG that would be
> interested to hear more on the progress. I realise this isn't the
> ideal,
> but its a reasonable way to discuss with others (under NDA) when the
> spec lead hasn't allowed multiple representatives as is the case here.
> I'm more than happy to filter the content through and pass on any
> feedback and thoughts, and experiment until we find a workable
> solution
> given the constraints.

Sure.  Actually, this is a fine way to do it.  We can come to
conclusions from the ASF POV, and you can relay that message to the EG.

> 2) I'd like to play around with adding content related to the below to
> the site - but I don't want to put anything in that svn repo that
> isn't
> decided on. Is this an appropriate forum for discussion or can we get
> together and work through it?

Either works for me.

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 18, 2005, at 1:08 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote, On 12/16/2005 11:30 PM:
>> As I've said before, its not. In fact, after the monthly gzipping,
>> only
>> members have access. Committers can view the current month in
>> minotaur:~apmail/private-arch/jcp-open
>>
>> I'd strongly suggest we create new lists with a clearly defined
>> mission
>> and less confusing names.
>>
>> Alan - are you asking about archives of jsr277 discussion, or
>> discussion
>> on this list (there's been no jsr specifics here)?
>
> I've heard some discussion at ApacheCon about the Apache JSR rep
> taking
> his cue on how to vote from the community at large; I think that's a
> good idea.  I was wondering if this was the email thread that spawned
> that discussion.  I wanted to know more details how people thought it
> would work.

The idea is that if there's interest from others for a given JSR, we
setup a internal mail list (as many spec leads don't want more than
one person representing a given organization).  Interested parties w/
in the ASF join this mail list and work with the person representing
the ASF on issues that arise.  That mail list should also be able to
get a feed of the EG list traffic (rather than relying on the ASF rep
from having to manually forward each mail) to provide good visibility
on what is happening in the EG activities.

The question now is how can we do this in the most open manner
possible.  If we can avoid having to put everyone under NDA, that
would be the best outcome.  I've asked Brett if he would take a run
at this w/ 277, seeing if Stanley (the spec lead) has any problem
with this...

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <ad...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Dec 17, 2005, at 2:30 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

> As I've said before, its not. In fact, after the monthly gzipping,
> only
> members have access. Committers can view the current month in
> minotaur:~apmail/private-arch/jcp-open

We should make it so.

> I'd strongly suggest we create new lists with a clearly defined
> mission
> and less confusing names.

why is this confusing?  This is the list for open discussion about
JCP activities...

geirm@apache.org

Re: thoughts on new site

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.