Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/04/17 15:01:19 UTC

[VOTE] Accept Slider into the incubator

I'd like to call a vote on accepting Slider into the incubator

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SliderProposal

[ ] +1 Accept Slider into the Incubator
[ ] +0 Indifferent to the acceptance of Slider
[ ] -1 Do not accept Slider because …

The vote will be open until Thursday April 24 13:00 UTC

-Steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: [VOTE] Accept Slider into the incubator

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
+1 (non binding)

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 10:01 PM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I'd like to call a vote on accepting Slider into the incubator
>

> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SliderProposal
>
> [ ] +1 Accept Slider into the Incubator
> [ ] +0 Indifferent to the acceptance of Slider
> [ ] -1 Do not accept Slider because …
>

> The vote will be open until Thursday April 24 13:00 UTC
>
> -Steve
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
CEO at DataSayer Co., Ltd.

Re: [VOTE] Accept Slider into the incubator

Posted by Suresh Srinivas <su...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (binding)

http://hortonworks.com/download/

Posted by Terence Yim <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

As a Apache Twill committer, I want to call out the inaccuracy about
Apache Twill in the "Relationship with Apache Twill" section. In
specific, about the two key differentiators that you mentioned.

1. Long live static application. Twill has no assumption about how
long an application runs. In fact, real-time streaming application
(like Storm/Samza) that never terminates is the earliest use case that
Twill wanted to support.
2. No application code change. Twill doesn't requires you to change
your existing application code. We've successfully runs Facebook
Presto engine in Yarn without modifying single line of code in Presdo
code base. With Twill, you have freedom to write new application as
well as running any existing application that you have.

So, please do proper research or you are welcome to talk to us to have
an accurate what Apache Twill is.

Terence

Posted by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org>.
Andrew, Roman, Nick,

thanks for your insights. I can see that some competition within the
incubator can help with advancement of technology, and who knows, Slider
and Twill may have completely different motivations and focus on distinct
aspects of the same problem. I also agree that Slider can help existing
projects - such as HBase - to run over YARN sooner than Twill would -
Slider's goal is to make exactly that possible, whereas Twill's goal is a
bit more generic: to ease adoption of YARN for any type of application, be
it an existing one or yet to be developed. Building that true common
platform will sure take longer, and in the mean time I can see the value
that Slider will provide.

Now I am not sure what you mean by personality, Nick? Being a platform vs
being a solution for an immediate need? If that really is the distinction,
then they are different enough to justify separate projects.

-Andreas

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:
> Not necessarily in this case (I do not know), sometimes I wonder if
> incubation proposals having significant overlap with existing projects are
> simply a shorter path to getting up and running on the desired objectives
> instead of joining existing projects through establishment of merit and
> committerships.

That's actually a great point. The way I look at it is this: there's nothing
wrong with an alternative healthy community, but it has to be healthy.
So I guess what I'm really saying is this: it may behove us to double
click into the health of community for these types of overlapping projects
when it is time for them to graduate.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Accept Slider into the incubator

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Based on prior experience I'd say the Members take a liberal attitude to
duplication of efforts. There are pros and cons. "Constructive competition"
versus siloing and dissipation of the potential of a common community.
Given what I've read on this thread I hope ultimately Twill, Helix, and
Slider, should it be accepted, unify their efforts in a common project.
(Likewise for Brooklyn, should it be accepted, and Whirr and the other
related Apache projects in that clique.) Community is often elevated above
code in discussions here about principles. Accepting projects with fair or
significant overlap to others does grow the Apache community in aggregate
even if potentially limiting the potential of the projects individually. I
don't know what the correct answer is, if there is one. Maybe its simply up
to the projects to cooperate on reducing unwanted entropy should they find
that a shared goal.

Sometimes externalities dominate, like for example with Accumulo and HBase.
The original developer of Accumulo decided not to build on HBase (my
understanding of history) and instead build an alternate code base, and
politics in the user organizations now prevent some kind of joint effort or
unification should that even be technically possible (probably not anyway).
Sadly the root cause is governmental control freakery, if you will pardon a
bit of editorial.

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> -0 (non-binding).
>
> Slider has a lot of good ideas and features and there is no doubt it has
> significant value. Yet I do think that there is large overlap between
> Slider and recently incubated Twill. The Twill community has repeatedly
> offered collaboration and/or convergence of Twill and Slider into a new
> combined project.
>
> I have always believed that Apache is driven by a passion for
> collaboration. But if this community believes that building silos and
> duplicating efforts is more desirable than collaboration, I will not stand
> in the way.
>
> Still I would like to repeat that the Twill community is open to
> collaboration with the Slider team, in whatever turns out to be the best
> format.
>
> -Andreas.
>

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Dilli Arumugam
> <da...@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
> > +1 (non binding)
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Mahadev Konar <mahadev@hortonworks.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (binding).
> > >
> > > Mahadev Konar
> > > Hortonworks Inc.
> > > http://hortonworks.com/

> > > entity
> > confidential,
> > > reader
> > notified
> have
> > > > >

> > > --
> > > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> entity
> reader
> > that
> > immediately
> > >

> > --
> > CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> that
> immediately

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Accept Slider into the incubator

Posted by Andreas Neumann <an...@apache.org>.
-0 (non-binding).

Posted by Dilli Arumugam <da...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Mahadev Konar <ma...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (binding).

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Tx Chip/Suresh. I'd join IPMC if needed.

+Vinod

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Champion on this proposal Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli doesn't seem to be on the
IPMC but since he is a member its just a customary to ask and get inducted.

Can this be addressed?

Suresh

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

-Taylor

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding.  Let me know if I can help.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 (binding)

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Accept Slider into the incubator

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
This is a great addition to the Hadoop YARN ecosystem.

Hoping the name doesn't conflict with any existing software, here's my +1.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On Apr 17, 2014, at 6:01 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> I'd like to call a vote on accepting Slider into the incubator
>

> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SliderProposal
>
> [ ] +1 Accept Slider into the Incubator
> [ ] +0 Indifferent to the acceptance of Slider
> [ ] -1 Do not accept Slider because …
>

> The vote will be open until Thursday April 24 13:00 UTC
>
> -Steve
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE