Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by "Volkar, John M." <JV...@medrad.com> on 2007/12/05 19:44:14 UTC

By Invitation Only Registration

I have a public facing wiki, I want registration to be by invitation
only.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking a patch along the lines of:

Adding a property:
	jspwiki.registration = open | closed | invitation, default is
'open'.

Modifying the default template to conditionally show the registration UI
elements based on the property.

For 'invitation' some additional UI elements would be added (a few text
strings and an input-box)

When the user attempts to register, the "invitation-code" would be
checked against another new property:
	jspwiki.registration.invitationCode=

Which could have one of two values
		static:XXXcodeXXX
		code-file:JSPWiki-InvitationCodes.txt

Where static: is a single shared "community code", if compromised the
admin must change it and restart.

Where code-file: is text file of name:code pairs.

Any thoughts on this?  Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

Regards,
John Volkar

Re: By Invitation Only Registration

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
How about protecting UserPreferences.jsp through your web.xml
or .htaccess?  Then share the username/password.

/Janne