Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2008/02/01 04:28:13 UTC

RE: Upgrading to 5.5.25 causes File /javax/servlet/resources/web-app_2_3.dtdnotfound

> From: George Payne [mailto:gpayne@virginia.edu]
> Subject: Re: Upgrading to 5.5.25 causes File
> /javax/servlet/resources/web-app_2_3.dtdnotfound
>
> Well, I guess part of my question is: what does that mean?

We get many questions from people who try to use 3rd-party, repackaged
versions of Tomcat, with varying degrees of failure.  Trying to make
sure you weren't in that category.

> I downloaded the 5.5.25 binary tar and used all the
> latest jar files from it.

That's good, but you run a serious risk of missing jars or other things
that might have changed.

> I assume you mean untarring, symlinking, and copying
> over webapps and server.xml

The symlinking can be causing some "interesting" behavior if it's not
done carefully and configured where needed in Tomcat.  Copying over
server.xml is certainly not recommended; updating the one that comes
with 5.5.25 for your environment is.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.