Posted to user@empire-db.apache.org by Greg Meddles <gr...@nisc-llc.com> on 2010/03/02 19:53:21 UTC

caching advice? and metadata-driven usage

Hello,

My complements:  I've been using empire-db for about two months to build a service that provides very dynamic data access to a series of semi-static ROLAP database schemas for use with RIA data visualization.  My implementation uses empire-db classes in a way that is entirely runtime configured, as opposed to the typical compile-time usages shown in your examples (but probably not totally dissimilar to your code generator).  The largest benefit I receive from empire-db on this particular project is vendor-neutral SQL generation.  However, I've used every conceivable java persistence technology over the past dozen years (JDBC, early EJB entity beans, SolarMetric Kodo, Hibernate, Ibatis, JPA, ad infinitum) and I think empire-db strikes the perfect balance of flexibility and ease-of-use for a typical transaction processing application. Great job!  I wish empire-db would get a little more exposure with the technology bloggers, because I only found out about this great technology by accidental, yet providential, google search for something very specific.

My question:  I'd like to now improve performance by adding caching to reduce the cost of aggregation for mostly-static data.  Do you have any recommendations for using empire-db with any of the common open source java caching projects?  I'd particularly like to leverage the db itself for secondary cache (when a LRU method purges cache entries from memory).  Ideally I'd like to use a true data table as opposed to serialization of cache entries into a BLOB column.

Sorry for the long email, but thanks in advance.
Greg

re: caching advice? and metadata-driven usage

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Dear Greg,

first I am pleased to hear that from all those components mentioned you prefer Empire-db.

Unfortunately I personally don't have any experience with caching frameworks (Maybe someone else has).
I mostly use it for applications that involve user interaction and in these cases caching is always problematic.
But surely for mostly static OLAP data I can see the benefit.

Depending on how exactly you work with Empire-db you might want to try overriding the method readRecord(DBRecord rec, Object[] key, Connection conn) in a class derived from DBTable and put your caching code in there. However it is hard to give a good advice without knowing the exact problem.

But if you find a solution for your caching problem I would be interested to know how you have solved it.

Regards,
Rainer