Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Jae Joo <ja...@gmail.com> on 2021/09/10 17:47:08 UTC

Encryption at rest

The way to have an encrypted index is using OS level encryption.  Is
there any other way to encrypt collection based?

Jae

Re: Encryption at rest

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
No, several attempts but they all come to a halt when realizing that they provide false sense of security due to various flaws, or too big compromise with features and performance. So best practice is OS level.

Jan Høydahl

Re: Encryption at rest

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.
There isn't quite yet an open-source offering.  We've been doing this at
Salesforce for years with a custom implementation.  We've started anew with
a Directory based abstraction LUCENE-9379[1] (by my colleague Bruno).  A
Google Search shows that DataStax has implemented something similar[1].
Sadly there are some objections to any such feature being contributed to
Lucene/Solr but nonetheless it could be released independently.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9379
[2] https://docs.datastax.com/en/security/6.7/security/secEncryptSearch.html

It occurred to me recently that users might be able to get this feature
today via Solr's HDFS support[3].  This would require that the HDFS path be
defined in solrconfig.xml (not a global system property) and furthermore
contain the collection name in the path as its own directory.  I bet that
could be templatized, and thus you could have one common solrconfig.xml
file (one so-called "configSet").  With Solr and HDFS, there is no disk
use; it's all on HDFS and cached in memory as well.  HDFS supports
encrypted directories[4].  I'm not sure about key management from the Solr
side of things.

[3]
https://nightlies.apache.org/solr/draft-guides/solr-reference-guide-main/solr-on-hdfs.html
[4]