Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/26 10:00:38 UTC

Getting to work with HBase

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is currently a way to checkout the hbase code form
SVN ? Or should I wait till the code is cut to a new SVN as indicated here
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/10Minutes ? If so, does anyone know when
is the code planned to be available ?
What I actually want to do, is experiment with HBase, so I wouldn't mind
downloading a jar from somewhere if possible.

How stable/mature is the code by the way ?

Thanks, Naama

--
oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo 00 oo
00 oo 00 oo

Re: Getting to work with HBase

Posted by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com>.
OK, thanks to all. Naama

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Posted by Chris Richard <ch...@gmail.com>.
You'd use this when you need direct access to HBase from a remote client.

Posted by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the input.

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Naama,

I think the best way for the moment is to look at the JUnit tests in the
src/test folder to see some API usage. As you can read in the
FAQ<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/FAQ>,
the class TestHBaseCluster is a really good exemple to start with. And for
HQL, I prefer to use it to build tables, insert a bunch of data fast and do
some quick queries.

Jean-Daniel

Posted by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com>.
Hi Again,

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Naama Kraus <na...@gmail.com>.
Great. Thanks.
How stable is hadoop 0.16 by the way ?

Naama

Posted by Jim Kellerman <ji...@powerset.com>.
hbase is not in the hadoop-0.16.0-core.jar, that is correct.
The HBase jar (and other supporting files) are under
hadoop-0.16.0/contrib/hbase/

So if you want to use HBase, you either need to either
change your classpath or you can move the jar to the hadoop
directory and config files to hadoop/conf, scripts to
hadoop/bin, etc. People have done this both ways, and I don't
know as there is a recommended way, but from a purists' point
of view, I guess you would keep them separate.

The HBase jar for 0.16.0 will not work with hadoop-0.15.x

HBase improved greatly from 0.15.x to 0.16, so I would
highly recommend that you use the 0.16.0 version (unless
you like the bleeding edge which is hbase/trunk which is
greatly improved over 0.16.0, but you have to build it
yourself, and its quality varies from day to day (I guess
that's why it is the bleeding edge).

---

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Re: Getting to work with HBase