Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/20 12:39:24 UTC

0.32 release update - Beta is available

Hi, everyone.  We have branched for release, and 0.32 beta is now available.

  Release branch: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/branches/0.32/
  Release artifacts: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/qpid/0.32-beta/
  Release tool log output:
http://people.apache.org/~jross/qpid-0.32-beta.log

This is pre-release software, for testing only.

Now that we've branched, 0.32 changes require developer review and release
manager approval.  See the release page for details.  It means as well that
trunk has opened for forward development.

Please test the beta in your environment and report your results on the
list.  Thank you very much to those who tested the alpha.

The next planned build is our first RC on March 4th.

Thanks!
Justin

---
0.32 release page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/0.32+Release

Re: 0.32 release update - Beta is available

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I built the C++ broker, created a queue using qpid-config, and ran the
HelloWorld example from the new JMS client (not part of this release)
against it.

I built the Java broker, clients etc. I started the the broker (no
vhost issues noticed), added a queue via the web management, then ran
the 0.32-beta AMQP 0-10 and 1.0 JMS client Hello examples against it.

Ok, I missed a bit there, I did some of the above twice when I
realised I had run the 1.0 example against the C++ broker again by
accident, as the Java broker started without an obvious sign of issue
despite being unable to bind its AMQP port. This is only visible via
an 'errored' state listed in the web management, or by the absence of
a line normally in the console output, so as a result its really easy
not to realise you arent running against the broker you think. I did
the same thing yesterday as well when testing something else, its
rather annoying. Gordon raised this as
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-6096 previously.

I built the Java QMF tools (but didnt actually use them) against the
earlier Java build from above.

I ran RAT on the various archive contents. Output is available at:
http://people.apache.org/~robbie/qpid/0.32/beta/

There is a file in the Java tree needing a licence header added (which
I will just do shortly):
qpid-java-0.32-beta/tools/src/main/java/org/apache/qpid/tools/util/ArgumentsParser.java

There is a file in the CPP tree which would have warranted some
LICENCE file changes, but this file was removed through use of a
different mechanism shortly after the beta went out:
qpid-cpp-0.32-beta/CMakeModules/CheckSizeTNativeType.cmake

Robbie

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
No separate RFI needed.  Thanks!

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
D'oh - my fault... Didn't cover the second case.  Applied a further fix
that should remove that deadlock.

-- Rob

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Deadlock issue should be fixed by https://svn.apache.org/r1664160  (on
trunk) (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-6433).

If the deadlock was what was ultimately causing your message receipt
problems, this should also fix those.

If that issue still occurs after this fix, can you give me some more
details on how you are testing?

Thanks,
Rob

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5 March 2015 at 12:42, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/05/2015 11:21 AM, Rob Godfrey wrote:
>
>> To verify, I downloaded the broker tgz from here
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Qpid/job/Qpid-
>> Java-Artefact-Release-0.32/
>> expanded
>> it into an empty directory, set QPID work to a non existent location, and
>> ran bin/qpid-server.
>>
>> On startup the broker had a single (Json) virtual host node, containing an
>> (active) Derby virtual host.
>>
>> This is the behaviour I would expect...
>>

> Retested and I can confirm I see the same. Looking at my bash history, it
> seems I got a typo in first setting QPID_WORK, presumably meaning it picked
> up something stale from the default location(?). Apologies for the false
> alarm, it was a user error.

Interesting... I guess it found something where the virtual host
configuration had been blown away... otherwise it should have automatically
upgraded your old config.  Anyway, glad to know that the out of the box
installation does have a vhost as expected.

-- Rob

Re: 0.32 release update - Beta is available

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5 March 2015 at 11:42, Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/05/2015 11:21 AM, Rob Godfrey wrote:
>>
>> To verify, I downloaded the broker tgz from here
>>
>> https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Qpid/job/Qpid-Java-Artefact-Release-0.32/
>> expanded
>> it into an empty directory, set QPID work to a non existent location, and
>> ran bin/qpid-server.
>>
>> On startup the broker had a single (Json) virtual host node, containing an
>> (active) Derby virtual host.
>>
>> This is the behaviour I would expect...
>

> Retested and I can confirm I see the same. Looking at my bash history, it
> seems I got a typo in first setting QPID_WORK, presumably meaning it picked
> up something stale from the default location(?).

It defaults to your homedir.

> Apologies for the false
> alarm, it was a user error.

Possibly the stale config could have been rejected, depending on
whether what is no longer current in it makes it illegal or just not
complete.

Re: 0.32 release update - Beta is available

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.
My testing shows three test failures in the cpp tree.  Everything else
passes for me.

  https://gist.github.com/ssorj/cfd6b48cda7f37bb665d

The first two failures there are from an unguarded reacharound in the
source tree.

The last is more interesting.  In this instance I was building against
0.7.  I ran all of these tests on Fedora 20 x86-64.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
OK running broker and c++ messaging client work on windows Visual Studio 2010, x86, debug

* Running with today's proton master branch
* Runs C++ messaging examples