Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ronan <r....@qub.ac.uk> on 2004/11/24 15:22:21 UTC

sa-learn ham

hi all.
for those of you running large volume servers you no doubt have an
abundance of spam to feed into sa-learn, and i suppose that goes for all
sizes of volumes.
but one question. how do you manage to match the same number with hams /
real messages. how do you go about bumping up the numbers to even the
DB? Am i right in saying that basically anymail thats not spam is ham or
is ham only supposed to be mail that are false negatives ie have been
tagged but arent really spam.
here at the university there are 3 admins who if they want could read
other peoples email... Data protection blah blah but its simply a side
affect of administering the systems.

putting a random selection of users' HAM emails ( which could be and
unsurprisingly are personal) into the filter to balance the DB could be
contentious - but its the only way to get a good selection of emails.

as i said there are only the 3 of us but we have around 40000 mail boxes
and 3 isnt really a good representation in terms of quality of emails to
be feeding ham into sa-learn. Aside from opening up a mailbox to pleb
users and creating more havoc, what are the recommended ways of getting
around this?

thanks

ronan

--
Regards

Ronan McGlue
==============
Analyst/Programmer
Information Services
Queens University Belfast
BT7 1NN

Re: sa-learn ham

Posted by Ronan <r....@qub.ac.uk>.

Jim Maul wrote:

> Ronan wrote:
>
>> so it doesnt make a difference if you have inordinately larger amounts
>> of one than the other?? I would have thought it would've worked better
>> with more ham...
>> i read somewhere on the list thats its best to balance.
>>

> you'll get conflicting answers to this question.  The only real answer
> that i can tell is "see what works best on your system"  If you get
> significantly more spam than ham, and autolearning is enabled, then you
> will have signficantly more spam tokens than ham.  Over here at the
> hospital where i work, we get significantly more ham than spam so my
> numbers are usually the opposite from everyone elses.  This goes to show
> that even with opposite ratios, the bayes system still works properly.
> This should be argument enough that you dont need to have a balance in
> the number of spam/ham tokens.
>
>> on a related note why is my autolearn not funtioning properly???
>>

> good question.  Im not sure what the causes of autolearn=failed are. But
> i did happen to notice that you appear to have ALL_TRUSTED firing on
> every email you receive.  There may be larger issues with the setup
> here.  Posting on the list (and not just to me) may provide you will
> more answers as many more people will see the message as well.

ahh yeah hit reply instead of reply-all.

anyone out there see anything major or minorly wrong with the output below??

thanks

ronan

Re: sa-learn ham

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.

Re: sa-learn ham

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Ronan wrote:

> Jim Maul wrote:
>
>> Ronan wrote:
>>
>>> hi all.
>>> for those of you running large volume servers you no doubt have an
>>> abundance of spam to feed into sa-learn, and i suppose that goes for
>>> all sizes of volumes.
>>> but one question. how do you manage to match the same number with
>>> hams / real messages. how do you go about bumping up the numbers to
>>> even the DB? Am i right in saying that basically anymail thats not
>>> spam is ham or is ham only supposed to be mail that are false
>>> negatives ie have been tagged but arent really spam.
>>

>> Attempting to get these numbers equal is an unncessary, and as you've
>> discovered, almost futile task.
>>
>> While i would *not* recommend running on autolearning exclusively, it
>> is working incredibly well here with the occasional manual sa-learn
>> here and there.  sa-learn --dump magic shows the following for my system:
>>
>> 0.000          0       1105          0  non-token data: nspam
>> 0.000          0      28077          0  non-token data: nham
>>

> Jim, isnt your ration of ham:spam 25:1 and not 1:25

Oops, yep your correct, i had the order switched.  Regardless, my point
still stands :)

-Jim

Re: sa-learn ham

Posted by Ronan <r....@qub.ac.uk>.

--
Regards

Ronan McGlue
==============
Analyst/Programmer
Information Services
Queens University Belfast
BT7 1NN

Re: sa-learn ham

Posted by Gavin Cato <ga...@corp.nexon.com.au>.
I agree, autolearn in conjunction with the odd manual insert works very well
here, although I'm still having troubles blocking the variation of those
ridicoulous drugs/rx msgs.

0.000          0    1781758          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0     319835          0  non-token data: nham

Cheers

Gav

.

Re: sa-learn ham