Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Richard Troy <rt...@ScienceTools.com> on 2015/04/16 19:08:47 UTC

Fedora 21 / Postfix config issue

Hello,

After hardware failure, I did an OS upgrade, too, and have a new Fedora
Core 21 installation with these packages installed:

postfix-2.11.3-1.fc21.x86_64

spamass-milter-0.4.0-1.fc21.x86_64
spamass-milter-postfix-0.4.0-1.fc21.noarch
spamassassin-3.4.0-13.fc21.x86_64

I'm a long-time postfix user, but new to SpamAssassin. Postfix is up and
running fine. However, there's something missing in the directions about
how postfix and SpamAssassin get integrated together, and that's my
primary concern right now. ...I can get SA running, but nothing I've tried
so far in smtpd_milters has worked (I presume that's how I'm supposed to
get Postfix to talk to SpamAssassin?)

The official fedora-specific directions, I take it, are to be found in
/usr/share/doc/spamassassin. I've been through that and haven't found
anything on smtpd_milters, though it's certainly piqued my interest in
several related topics. ...The README found there cites a document called
"INSTALL" but that document isn't in my distribution. So, I went to what I
take to be the official web site documentation and it points me to two
pages that (for at least the last two days) don't load (namely two links
to http://www.onetforum.com).

I did a lot of looking around and found /etc/mail/spamassassin which has a
file, local.cf, which includes a URL to a page entitled, "How to install
and integrate SpamAssassin with Postfix on a CentOS 6 VPS" but it was
unhelpful - or, rather, I learned a lot but it didn't help solve the
issue, again, wrong versions.

Looking elsewhere for help, all the (great many) wonderful directions I
find on the web appear to be for other distributions OR earlier versions
of Fedora which don't work the way this version does. So, I'm coming here
for help - hope this is the right place.

I was confused at the distinction between spamass-milter and spamassassin
(see installed version notes above), and figured these are cooperating
packages, all part of SpamAssassin. ...So, I looked into the
/usr/share/doc/spamass-milter-postfix directory and found a note that I
should set Postfix's smtpd_milters value to:

  unix:/run/spamass-milter/postfix/sock

However, first of all, while the directory exists, that file (socket) does
not. I considered making it myself, but there is no mksock on this
distribution and I'm a little hesitant to use mknod which I vaguely recall
might be able to do this - could well be wrong.

The non-existence of the socket has me puzzled. In any event, bravely
continuing on, I just tried to start things up anyway, and postfix starts,
of course, but gives this error:

postfix/smtpd[18151]: warning: connect to Milter service
unix:/run/spamass-milter/postfix/sock: No such file or directory

Which, of course, I already knew didn't exist - so, I also see that none
of the extant, running software decided to create it.

I DO NOTE, however, that there's something called spamd ... I have NOT
touched it per se; instead, I've started "spamassassin.service" (with
systemctl) and when I check status, it says:

  spamd[27493]: spamd: server started on IO::Socket::IP [127.0.0.1]:783,
IO::Socket::IP [::1]:783 (running version 3.4.0)

...This gives the STRONG suggestion I should be putting that socket number
into postfix's smtpd_milters parameter...

OK, that's where I'm at; help humbly requested.

Regards,
Richard

Re: Fedora 21 / Postfix config issue

Posted by Richard Troy <rt...@ScienceTools.com>.

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015, Marieke Janssen wrote:

> On 2015-04-16 19:08, Richard Troy wrote:
>>  postfix/smtpd[18151]: warning: connect to Milter service
>>  unix:/run/spamass-milter/postfix/sock: No such file or directory
>>

> Postfix probably tries to read
> /var/spool/postfix/run/spamass-milter/postfix/sock as I do believe the path
> is relative to the spool directory.

OK, I'll check that, thanks.

> I don't know exactly about ownership and file modes as I don't use
> spamass-milter myself, but I would suggest a simplefied version of the path
> you choose, unix:/spamass-milter/postfix.sock

OK, again thanks, will try.

> You have to create the directory yourself, including the right
> ownership/rights.

Um... How do I creat the "sock" part? mksock doesn't exist on this
distribution. Is it a bit like an NFS mount directory? Create an entry and
the software takes it over somehow?

> (both postfix as spamass-milter needs access, how exactly
> is left to the exercise of the reader:-))
>
> Don't forget to update the milter config accordingly to the full path,
> /var/spool/postfix/spamass-milter/postfix.sock

I know where this is on the Postfix side; to which of the many config
directories - and which parameter - shall I be updating, please?

Also please note my upate to this query (I replied to my own email with
additional data) wherein I had noticed that spamd was reporting its
socket, so I tried pluging that into an attempt at smtpd_milter, and got
SOME dialogue between the two systems, but with copious errors - and I
reported those errors. . . So, there's more to this than meets the eye.
It's almost as if one package is looking for a socket and the other is
looking for, maybe, a network port? ...See my other mail for more data.

>>  I DO NOTE, however, that there's something called spamd ... I have NOT
>>  touched it per se; instead, I've started "spamassassin.service" (with
>>  systemctl) and when I check status, it says:
>
> spamd is the daemonized version of spamassassin, spamc is the client, the
> milter uses spamc to connect to spamd.

I see - I got PART of that from working with it a little - thanks for the
clarification.

> Good luck,
> /MJ

Thanks MJ! Looks like I need some!

Posted by Marieke Janssen <mj...@myguard.nl>.

On 2015-04-16 19:08, Richard Troy wrote:
> postfix/smtpd[18151]: warning: connect to Milter service
> unix:/run/spamass-milter/postfix/sock: No such file or directory

Postfix probably tries to read
/var/spool/postfix/run/spamass-milter/postfix/sock as I do believe the
path is relative to the spool directory.

I don't know exactly about ownership and file modes as I don't use
spamass-milter myself, but I would suggest a simplefied version of the
path you choose, unix:/spamass-milter/postfix.sock
You have to create the directory yourself, including the right
ownership/rights. (both postfix as spamass-milter needs access, how