Posted to axkit-dev@xml.apache.org by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at> on 2005/04/29 17:07:23 UTC

Re: AxKit auf Apache2

Hi Matt,

Replying to you and also to the public on axkit-dev. I've discussed the
contribution of the stuff I have written and published on the user list
~ in my company.
My company has decided that it would contribute the code I developed
until now and will develop in future to the AxKit-Project. This has the
advantage that I get payed for my work on AxKit2 (done in my free-time).
On the other hand they want to get some promotion from AxKit. Things
that have been discussed are that:
* e.g. logo on the AxKit-Page => Link axkit2-dev-page
* axkit2-dev-page hosted by the company and reachable as
~  axkit2.bestsolution.at until a release is made.

Another thing I want to be certain is that the stuff I contribute is
really desired by all developers because what is here until now is the
right way to go. If most of them say I don't like the actual design and
we want to make things in completely another way I don't have any
problem to accept this.

But what I don't want is to contribute the code I have written and
afterwards everybody says that's a deadend street and no code gets
released. I my opinion this is the right way to go but because none of
the dev people (beside you) responded to me.

I know that none of us can say that what I've written until now will get
released but what I want is that people took a look at my code and say
it makes sense what I'm doing.

A last thing is would I become a commit rights into the source tree for
my AxKit2-port or would I only contribute code a others apply it to the
repository?

I hope many of you respond to this mail. The latest source is attached
to this mail. It should run on apache2-prefork/mp2-rc5.

Just for information:
- ---------------------
The benchmarks are from a AMD Mobile Athlon 3000+ (=800MHZ) and 512 MB
RAM perl compiled with thread support running Mandrake 10.1 and
kernel-2.6.10.

Tom

Matt Sergeant schrieb:
| First fax in the CLA. Then let me know you've done it. Then we can get
| an account setup. Then we can get a new repository setup.
|
| On 26 Apr 2005, at 12:08, Tom Schindl wrote:
|
| Hi Matt,
|
| didn't you received my mail I sent you yesterday or didn't you have time
| to start the process of including me into the AxKit-Dev-Team? At least
| as I read the FAQ on apache.org I must get an invocation from the
| AxKit-PMC to kick off the process.
|
| Tom
|
| Matt Sergeant schrieb:
| | I'd be happy to get a CVS (or maybe even SVN) repository setup for you
| | on apache infrastructure. You'll have to sign a Contributor License
| | Agreement which you can print off on the Apache web site and fax into
| | the ASF secretary.
| |
| | Email me privately to get this organised.
| |
| |
| |
| |

Re: AxKit auf Apache2

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.

Re: AxKit auf Apache2

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.

Re: AxKit auf Apache2

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On 1 Jul 2005, at 05:02, Tom Schindl wrote:

> Although long time ago.

Tell me about it :-)

> Would the following be possible:
> - --------------------------------
> - - create sub-domain axkit2.axkit.org presenting the development of
> ~  AxKit2, Roadmap, Design-Documents, ... => preferably rendered by
> ~  AxKit2 (we need a server running Apache2/mp2), I'll set that up
> ~  (should we maybe use a customized style.tigris.org for the
> AxKit-page
> ~  )
> - - Somehow tell people that the starting code of AxKit2 has been
> ~  contributed by my Company Bestsolution Systemhaus GmbH => the main
> ~  difference would be as already stated that I could do some work on
> ~  AxKit on the job and get payed a little money whereas when I
> ~  contribute as a single person most of the work is done in my
> ~  sparetime.
>
> Would that be acceptable?

That seems perfectly reasonable. Let me get around to looking at TomKit
and then we'll get it setup.

Matt.

Re: AxKit auf Apache2

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.

Re: AxKit auf Apache2

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On 29 Apr 2005, at 11:07, Tom Schindl wrote:

> My company has decided that it would contribute the code I developed
> until now and will develop in future to the AxKit-Project. This has the
> advantage that I get payed for my work on AxKit2 (done in my
> free-time).
> On the other hand they want to get some promotion from AxKit. Things
> that have been discussed are that:
> * e.g. logo on the AxKit-Page => Link axkit2-dev-page
> * axkit2-dev-page hosted by the company and reachable as
> ~  axkit2.bestsolution.at until a release is made.

As far as I'm aware this isn't compatible with the ASF way. I certainly
had to take down links to axkit.com (now defunct) when we moved into
the ASF infrastructure.

Dirk (who reads this list from time to time) may be able to comment
more.

Matt.

Re: AxKit auf Apache2

Posted by Tom Schindl <to...@gmx.at>.

Re: AxKit auf Apache2

Posted by Michael Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com>.
On Apr 29, 2005, at 8:07 AM, Tom Schindl wrote:

> Replying to you and also to the public on axkit-dev. I've discussed the
> contribution of the stuff I have written and published on the user list
> ~ in my company.
<snip>

Tom,

I wanted to let you and the list know that we're not ignoring you, it
is just that the core developers (certainly myself) are just extremely
busy at this time.  I have recently freed up one of my servers for use
as a dedicated development / test server, and once I migrate LDAP off
of it I plan to rebuild it and use that to test out the NextGen AxKit
code.  But between flying lessons and work, I have very little spare
time these days.

So I'm sorry if we haven't been as prompt in replying as we should be,
but please be patient.  I can't speak for everybody, but I really like
the idea of AxKit development picking up once more.  Once I get a
chance to focus for more than a few minutes I'll reply to the actual
contents of your email. :-)

--
Michael Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com>
http://nachbaur.com/pgpkey.asc