Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by Eranga Mapa <er...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/03 08:31:43 UTC

Interested in contributing

Hi All,
I am Eranga. I am a Computer Science and Engineering undergraduate of
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
I am interested in the area of NLP and keen to contribute to Apache
openNLP. I am having an issue with installing
open NLP with maven.
When I try to run command: mvn3 install inside openNLP-trunk directory, it
fires an error
saying "The goal you specified requires a project to execute but there is
no POM in this directory"
But i was able to install individual modules since they had this .pom file.
Also I want to know is there a specific way to create the development
environment for openNLP with eclips.
Thanks!

--

Undergraduate Computer Science and Engineering
University of Moratuwa

Re: Interested in contributing

Posted by William Colen <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Jim - FooBar(); <ji...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 03/06/12 07:31, Eranga Mapa wrote:
>
>> When I try to run command: mvn3 install inside openNLP-trunk directory, it
>> fires an error
>> saying "The goal you specified requires a project to execute but there is
>> no POM in this directory"
>>

> You need to go into 'trunl/opennlp' folder and there you will find the pom
> you need...
>

>  Also I want to know is there a specific way to create the development
>> environment for openNLP with eclips.
>>

> I am not sure what you mean exactly but all you need to do is load the
> project source into eclipse, manage dependencies and then you can start
> working...

You should consider managing dependencies in Eclipse using the m2e plugin.
It makes things easier: http://eclipse.org/m2e

Also to write patches you should follow our code conventions. Please refer
to http://opennlp.apache.org/code-conventions.html, where you can find
the code formatter file for Eclipse.

Regards,
William

Re: Interested in contributing

Posted by "Jim - FooBar();" <ji...@gmail.com>.
On 03/06/12 07:31, Eranga Mapa wrote:
> When I try to run command: mvn3 install inside openNLP-trunk directory, it
> fires an error
> saying "The goal you specified requires a project to execute but there is
> no POM in this directory"

You need to go into 'trunl/opennlp' folder and there you will find the
pom you need...

> Also I want to know is there a specific way to create the development
> environment for openNLP with eclips.

I am not sure what you mean exactly but all you need to do is load the
project source into eclipse, manage dependencies and then you can start
working...

Hope that helps....

Jim

Re: Interested in contributing

Posted by "Soubhik (সৌভিক)" <so...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Eranga Mapa <er...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I try to run command: mvn3 install inside openNLP-trunk directory, it
> fires an error
> saying "The goal you specified requires a project to execute but there is
> no POM in this directory"

you should do this in <checkout directory>/opennlp/ where the
<checkout directory> is the directory where you've checked out the
code.

ref: http://opennlp.apache.org/building.html

Cheers!
Soubhik.