Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sundar Chakravarthy <sc...@doas.ga.gov> on 2002/09/25 19:23:10 UTC

Setting Tag Attribute Value

Hi,

I am on Tomcat 4.0.x , jdk1.4,win2K.

When I try to set a tag attribute value using
a jsp script varaible like below ,

inc= "<%= path %>/jsp/dd/inc/"

the value of path shows up as null . Why ?

Thanks

Re: Setting Tag Attribute Value

Posted by Jeff <li...@skubick.com>.
OK, quick question... is <%= path %> ***itself*** null, or it simply
being ---interpreted--- by Tomcat as null in the context of a tag attribute?

An easy way to check is to stick a copy somewhere inside a html comment
adjacent to the tag where you're using it so you can launch the page and see
for sure. For example...

<!-- VALUE of path = '<%= path %>' -->
... inc="<%= path %>/jsp/dd/inc" ...

if <%= path %> is itself null and is itself supposed to be set by another
tag either wrapping it or coming earlier in the page, it's probably a
problem with that tag's TEI file.

On the other hand, if <%= path %> is non-null, check the tag's .tld file and
make sure that the "inc" attribute has <rtexprvalue>true</rtexprvalue>

"rtexprvalue" tells the compiler whether it can save time and hardcode the
current value of <%= path %> at ***compile time***, or whether it needs to
stop and fetch the current value of <%= path %> at ---runtime---. If
rtexprvalue is false, it's using path's value at compile time... which more
likely than not, is null.

When I try to set a tag attribute value using
a jsp script varaible like below ,

inc= "<%= path %>/jsp/dd/inc/"

the value of path shows up as null . Why ?

Thanks

For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>