Posted to dev@apex.apache.org by David Yan <da...@datatorrent.com> on 2016/03/07 22:52:24 UTC

Naming: STRAM and StreamingContainer

Today, in both our doc and our code, we use the name STRAM (STReaming App
Master) for the App Master, and StreamingContainer (previously known as
StramChild) for the worker containers.

But since STRAM is running in a container itself, calling the worker
containers StreamingContainer is not exactly ideal.

How about renaming them to Apex App Master, and Apex Worker Container?
Thoughts?

David

Re: Naming: STRAM and StreamingContainer

Posted by Isha Arkatkar <is...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 for Apex App Master, and Apex Worker

We have a few other classes with StreamingContainer prefix e.g.
StreamingContainerManager, StreamingContainerAgent. Should we consider
renaming these as well?

Thanks,
Isha

Posted by Chinmay Kolhatkar <ch...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 for Apex Master and apex worker.

Posted by Pradeep Kumbhar <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 ApexAppMaster and ApexWorker

--
*regards,*
*~pradeep*

Re: Naming: STRAM and StreamingContainer

Posted by Satish Gopalani <go...@gmail.com>.

--

Thanks and regards,
Satish M Gopalani.

Re: Naming: STRAM and StreamingContainer

Posted by Milind Barve <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sandeep Deshmukh <sa...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Isn't operator the entity that performs the actual work/task?
>
> I don't think so. Operator is an abstraction for business logic. It is not
> the class with the main method. The main class here is the
> StreamingContainer which will executes the business logic provided in the
> operator.
>
> Chandni
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Ashwin Chandra Putta <
> ashwinchandrap@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Isn't operator the entity that performs the actual work/task? From what I
> > know, the StreamingContainer is more of a handler of operators within the
> > container.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ashwin.
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Chandni Singh <ch...@datatorrent.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > How about calling StreamingContainer as
> > ApexWorkerHandler/ApexWorkerManager
> > > as it is possible that there can be multiple operators within a
> container
> > > and each operator by itself is a worker.
> > >
> > >  IMO an operator is not a worker. At least we haven't been calling it a
> > > 'Worker' so far.
> > > Apex worker corresponds to a child container and can run multiple
> > operators
> > > if that is the case.
> > >
> > > Chandni

> > > ApexWorkerHandler/ApexWorkerManager
> > container

> > chandni@datatorrent.com

> > > Container?

> > thomas@datatorrent.com

> > major

> david@datatorrent.com

> (previously

> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ashwin.

Ashwin.

Re: Naming: STRAM and StreamingContainer

Posted by Chandni Singh <ch...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> How about calling StreamingContainer as ApexWorkerHandler/ApexWorkerManager
> as it is possible that there can be multiple operators within a container
> and each operator by itself is a worker.
>
>  IMO an operator is not a worker. At least we haven't been calling it a
> 'Worker' so far.
> Apex worker corresponds to a child container and can run multiple operators
> if that is the case.
>
> Chandni
>

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Ashwin Chandra Putta <
> ashwinchandrap@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 for ApexAppMaster.
> >
> > How about calling StreamingContainer as
> ApexWorkerHandler/ApexWorkerManager
> > as it is possible that there can be multiple operators within a container
> > and each operator by itself is a worker.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ashwin.
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 2:51 PM, David Yan <da...@datatorrent.com> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 for "Apex Worker".

> Container?

> > (STReaming
> > known
> > > as

> > worker

> > > Container?

> > --
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ashwin.

Ashwin.

Re: Naming: STRAM and StreamingContainer

Posted by Chandni Singh <ch...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Ashwin Chandra Putta <as...@gmail.com>.
+1 for ApexAppMaster.

How about calling StreamingContainer as ApexWorkerHandler/ApexWorkerManager
as it is possible that there can be multiple operators within a container
and each operator by itself is a worker.

Regards,
Ashwin.

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 2:51 PM, David Yan <da...@datatorrent.com> wrote:

> +1 for "Apex Worker".
>
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Chandni Singh <ch...@datatorrent.com>
> wrote:
>
> > How about renaming them to Apex App Master, and Apex Worker Container?
> > I think just Apex Worker is sufficient if we make this change.
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I like the suggestion. Can we record it in JIRA for the next major
> > release?

> > App
> as

> Container?

Ashwin.

Re: Naming: STRAM and StreamingContainer

Posted by David Yan <da...@datatorrent.com>.
+1 for "Apex Worker".

Posted by Pramod Immaneni <pr...@datatorrent.com>.
Apex App Master and Apex Worker sounds good.

Posted by Chandni Singh <ch...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by David Yan <da...@datatorrent.com>.
I think this name change will only happen when we have our next major
release.  At that point, we won't have com.datatorrent anywhere in Apex
code.  Everything will be changed to org.apache.apex.

David

Posted by Vlad Rozov <v....@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.
Because we want to know and make it clear that the JVM processes with this
main class belong to Apex applications.

Posted by Sandesh Hegde <sa...@datatorrent.com>.

Posted by Thomas Weise <th...@datatorrent.com>.