Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Dimetrio <di...@flysoft.ru> on 2014/05/16 16:11:31 UTC

Tombstones

Does cassandra delete tombstones during simple LCS compaction or I should use
node tool repair?

Thanks.

RE: Tombstones

Posted by Dimetrio <di...@flysoft.ru>.
oh,
its for for cassandra 1.x, right?
I use 2.0.7.

How could I reset leveled manifest in this case?

RE: Tombstones

Posted by "Plotnik, Alexey" <ap...@rhonda.ru>.
It's located beside SSTables and has a name in format <CF>.json
For `accounts` column family in `company` keyspace it looks like <CASSANDRA_DATA_DIR>/company/accounts/accounts.json

Posted by Dimetrio <di...@flysoft.ru>.
Thanks!
How could I find leveled json manifest?

Re: Tombstones

Posted by Arya Goudarzi <go...@gmail.com>.
Nodetool cleanup deletes rows that aren't owned by specific tokens
(shouldn't be on this node). And nodetool repair makes sure data is in sync
between all replicas. It is wrong to say either of these commands cleanup
tombstones. Tombstones are only cleaned up during compactions only if they
are expired passed gc_grace_seconds. Now it is also incorrect to say that
compaction always cleans up tombstones. In fact there are situations that
can lead to tombstones live for a long time. SSTables are immutable, so if
the SSTables that hold tombstones aren't part of a compaction the
tombstones don't get cleaned up, so the behavior you are expecting is not
100% predictable. In case of LCS, if SStables are promoted to another
level, compaction happens and tombstones which are expired will cleanup.
Unlike SizeTiered in LCS there is no easy way to force compaction on
SSTables. One hack I have tried in the past was to stop the node and
deleted the .json file that holds level manifests. Start the node. LCS will
compact all of them again to figure out the levels. Another way is if you
pick smaller SSTable sizes, you may have more compaction churn but again it
is not 100% guarantee that the tombstones you want will be cleaned up.

--
Cheers,
-Arya

Re: Tombstones

Posted by Omar Shibli <om...@eyeviewdigital.com>.

Re: Tombstones

Posted by Chris Lohfink <cl...@blackbirdit.com>.
It will delete them after gc_grace_seconds (set per table) and a compaction.

---
Chris Lohfink

RE: Tombstones

Posted by Andreas Finke <An...@solvians.com>.
Hi Dimetrio,

>From the wiki:

Since 0.6.8, minor compactions also GC tombstones

Regards
Andi

---- Dimetrio wrote ----