Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Felley, James" <Fe...@si.edu> on 2015/12/08 18:56:15 UTC

fuzzy searches and EDISMAX

I am trying to build an edismax search handler that will allow a fuzzy search, using the "query fields" property (qf).

I have two instances of SOLR 4.8.1, one of which has edismax "qf" configured with no fuzzy search
<str name="qf">ns_name^3.0  i_topic^3.0  i_object_type^3.0<str>

And the other with a fuzzy search for ns_name (non-stemmed name)
<str name="qf">ns_name~1^3.0  i_topic^3.0  i_object_type^3.0<str>

The index of both includes a record with an ns_name of 'Johnson'

I get no return in either instance with the query
q=Johnso

I get the Johnson record returned in both instances with a query of
q=Johnso~1

The SOLR documentation seems silent on incorporating fuzzy searches in the query fields.  I have seen various posts on Google that suggest that 'qf' will accept fuzzy search declarations, other posts suggest only the query itself will allow fuzzy searches (as seems to be the case for me).

Any guidance will be much appreciated

Jim

Jim Felley
OCIO
Smithsonian Institution
felleyj@si.edu

Re: fuzzy searches and EDISMAX

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
You probably want to apply the patch for SOLR-629. We have this in production at Chegg. I’ve been trying to get this feature added to Solr for seven years. Not sure why it never gets approved.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-629 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-629>

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org