Posted to builds@apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/16 08:13:16 UTC

[hudson] Slave on EC2?

Hi,

Despite various hickups along the way, the new Hudson master and the
extra solaris slave we got from the old master seem to have gone a
long way to addressing the chronic capacity problems we had earlier
([1] looks a lot better than it used to). Thus the need for my earlier
idea (for which I also lobbied initial budget approval) of setting up
an extra on-demand slave on EC2 for handling load peaks has mostly
gone away.

So the question is, should I still look at setting up an EC2 slave?
Beyond load balancing, the other reason for running builds in the
cloud is the availability of a wider variety of build environments.
Basically we could provision an on-demand build slave for any
environment for which an AMI exists or can be created. I don't have a
pressing need for that from the projects I work with, but perhaps
others are interested?

[1] https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/load-statistics?type=hour

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [hudson] Slave on EC2?

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thus the need for my earlier
> idea (for which I also lobbied initial budget approval) of setting up
> an extra on-demand slave on EC2 for handling load peaks has mostly
> gone away.

The recent outage of Minerva has showed that we get long queues when a
slave is gone. Therefore, having a EC2 slave to activate in situations
like that would be good.

/niklas

Re: [hudson] Slave on EC2?

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
AFAIK, CloudBees would host the master and slaves, not just a slave. Worth talking to them, but a PaaS vendor is more appropriate for an on-demand slave.

Justin

Re: [hudson] Slave on EC2?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

--