Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Cheng, Yi" <yi...@hp.com> on 2013/05/18 01:41:28 UTC

which hadoop version to use

Hi All:

I am figuring out which version to use.
Since I would like to develop and debug and test on my windows (eclipse) and deploy to linux.
And also I would like to use a version which has the document, javadoc and examples, not too obsoleted versions.

I have tried 1.0.4:
The problems I found, I am not able to set it up running in eclipse easily.
http://sourceforge.net/p/win-hadoop/wiki/Hadoop-on-Cygwin/
it looks it takes lots of effort, even rebuilding Hadoop. (this tutorial is for 1.0.1, but it looks similar to 1.0.4)

I have tried 0.22.0
I can set it up on windows, and run via eclipse, but looks it is very obsoleted, I can't find the documentation and javadoc (it is hard).
And even for eclipse, I need to use the old 3.x.x version.

So I am quite puzzled now.
Please help.

Cheng Yi

Re: which hadoop version to use

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Cheng, Yi <yi...@hp.com> wrote:
> I prefer pure open source version first, if there is no such option, then I
> may go to commercial version like hortonworks, cloudera.

In that case you may want to take a look at 100% community-driven
open source distribution coming from Apache Bigtop:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop+0.5.0

We are pretty close to finishing our next release (Bigtop 0.6.0)
based on Hadoop 2.0.x and you can install the distro from here:
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Bigtop-trunk/job/Bigtop-trunk-Repository/
E.g. for Centos 5 you'd use:
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Bigtop-trunk/job/Bigtop-trunk-Repository/label=centos5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/repo/bigtop.repo

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: which hadoop version to use

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Cheng, Yi" <yi...@hp.com>.
I prefer pure open source version first, if there is no such option, then I may go to commercial version like hortonworks, cloudera.

It is a 1.1-based distro and is designed for easier Windows install.  I haven't used it myself.
john

Posted by "Cheng, Yi" <yi...@hp.com>.

Posted by "Cheng, Yi" <yi...@hp.com>.

Posted by "Cheng, Yi" <yi...@hp.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Cheng, Yi <yi...@hp.com> wrote:
> Since I would like to develop and debug and test on my windows (eclipse) and
> deploy to linux.

What OS will be deployed to the nodes of your cluster? If that's Linux,
the choices for you boil down to:
    * Hadoop 1.X (current stable version 1.2.0)
    * Hadoop 2.X (current alpha version is 2.0.4-alpha)

Personally, I'd go with 2.x. But it depends a lot on your needs
and use cases.

Thanks,
Roman.

RE: which hadoop version to use