Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net> on 2017/07/06 12:06:31 UTC

NetBeans and C++

I know NetBeans is ready for C/C++ and I think for C++11, but what is with C++14 and C++17. Atm I don’t use it, but I saw a blog post about: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2017/07/05/7-reasons-to-move-your-cpp-code-to-visual-studio-2017/

So I’m wondering, whether NetBeans can handle it too, or not (C++14 and C++17)

Regards

Chris

AW: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Ok thx

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Possibly nobody knows right now, Chris. I'll ask Vladimir Voskresensky, if
he hasn't seen this message, to respond, i.e., he leads the C/C++ tools
team in Oracle, i.e., creates C/C++ tools in NetBeans.

Gj

Re: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

AW: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
push

Gesendet von Mail für Windows 10

Posted by Vladimir Voskresensky <vl...@oracle.com>.

On 14.07.2017 10:33, Christian Lenz wrote:
> No I’m not working on it, but the LLVM or Emscripten is already doing it.
Yes, the tool Emscripten, not Clang/LLVM itself.
> It was only a question to have a feautre/Action to generate JS Code from the C++ Code via the Clang/LLVM/Emscripten toolkit, right inside NetBeans.
I think such plugin is easy to write already now, because only external
tools are involved. So, if someone is interested - welcome to provide
such plugin.

Vladimir.

AW: AW: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
No I’m not working on it, but the LLVM or Emscripten is already doing it. It was only a question to have a feautre/Action to generate JS Code from the C++ Code via the Clang/LLVM/Emscripten toolkit, right inside NetBeans.

Re: AW: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Vladimir Voskresensky <vl...@oracle.com>.
Hello Chris,

AW: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey Vladimir,

thx for the info. I was on the NewAndNoteworthy page, but I didn’t see any C++17 stuff. Thats why I’m asking.
I scrolled through the slides so will it be possible in NetBeans 9 to have some Features from Clang like convert C++ Code to JavaScript? Via an Action or smth like that? And to print the AST from the C Code? I think this is possible, because of the CLI params that you have to handle over to the Clang Compiler, which is installed. If not, I will create a ticket for this later, because that would be very Handy to have it right inside NetBeans to create JS Code from C++. And it will help with WebAssembly even more.

Re: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
On Jul 14, 2017 3:23 AM, "Vladimir Voskresensky" <
vladimir.voskresensky@oracle.com> wrote:

On 14.07.2017 04:23, Wade Chandler wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2017 3:19 PM, "Vladimir Voskresensky" <
> vladimir.voskresensky@oracle.com> wrote:
>

> On 13.07.2017 22:09, Wade Chandler wrote:
>
> So is the C++ support being removed from Apache NB, and done as 3rd party
>> stuff from Oracle, or is there some way to make this work at Apache?
>>
>> The plan published by Geertjan saying C++ is donated after Java support is
> donated (end of August?).
>
> Just some binary from closed sources doesn’t seem the Apache way per other
>
>> discussions.
>>
>> I hope you misunderstood the other discussion:
> External binaries under Apache-friendly license are OK to be used in Apache
> NetBeans.
>
> Btw, being just binaries with LLVM license might even simplify the current
> process for donation of sources.
> Because Clank source code base is 2.6MLOC...
>

> I am not sure closed source binaries are the same thing regardless of the
> license. I may have misunderstood for sure. It read like Clank and the
> other libs sources are in Oracle and not open unlike nbjavac which I
> understand the sources will be available. Have I misunderstood? If so,
> great.

You might be right, I could be wrong...
Someone should clarify the case.

We can specifically ask the mentors, but for further clarification, is
Clank closed source? If so, the use of an OSS license means the license
isn't being followed actually; as there are no sources. It all depends on
project setup or packaging and distribution of sources etc I am sure (per
definitions here). But, certainly if the sources are not available, or
there is no contribution model outside of Oracle, that presents problems
for library dependencies, and doesn't follow the spirit of an OSS license.
The difference being library versus tool set users are expected to already
have on their systems such as Clang or GCC.

Hopefully others here, who will choose to spend time on NetBeans, will
agree with me, that we would like to be able to fix issues as they arise
regardless of Oracle's further commitments to the project, and if the
situation is how it sounded/read to me, I think it would be counter to that
and also "The Apache Way". If we can contribute to Clank easily enough,
because the sources are open in a way that aligns with other dependencies,
that is of course a different story.

Thanks

Wade

Re: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Vladimir Voskresensky <vl...@oracle.com>.

On 14.07.2017 04:23, Wade Chandler wrote:
> On Jul 13, 2017 3:19 PM, "Vladimir Voskresensky" <
> vladimir.voskresensky@oracle.com> wrote:
>

> On 13.07.2017 22:09, Wade Chandler wrote:
>
>> So is the C++ support being removed from Apache NB, and done as 3rd party
>> stuff from Oracle, or is there some way to make this work at Apache?
>>
> The plan published by Geertjan saying C++ is donated after Java support is
> donated (end of August?).
>
> Just some binary from closed sources doesn’t seem the Apache way per other
>> discussions.
>>
> I hope you misunderstood the other discussion:
> External binaries under Apache-friendly license are OK to be used in Apache
> NetBeans.
>
> Btw, being just binaries with LLVM license might even simplify the current
> process for donation of sources.
> Because Clank source code base is 2.6MLOC...
>

> I am not sure closed source binaries are the same thing regardless of the
> license. I may have misunderstood for sure. It read like Clank and the
> other libs sources are in Oracle and not open unlike nbjavac which I
> understand the sources will be available. Have I misunderstood? If so,
> great.
You might be right, I could be wrong...
Someone should clarify the case.

Btw, C++ support can work without Clank libraries as well (as was till
8.0), just some features will be missed.

Vladimir.

Re: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.

Re: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Vladimir Voskresensky <vl...@oracle.com>.

Re: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
So is the C++ support being removed from Apache NB, and done as 3rd party stuff from Oracle, or is there some way to make this work at Apache? Just some binary from closed sources doesn’t seem the Apache way per other discussions. I think Clank in the wild would be awesome btw. I was trying to find it after reading this. The C++ support is one area I have been interested in once over at Apache.

Thanks,

Wade

Re: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Vladimir Voskresensky <vl...@oracle.com>.

Re: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
This presentation was awesome! Had no idea so much work is poured into
the C++ cluster.

Re: NetBeans and C++

Posted by Vladimir Voskresensky <vl...@oracle.com>.
Hello Chris,