Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Shneyderman <al...@law.columbia.edu> on 2003/10/02 00:57:13 UTC

Slow serving requests issue

I just finished development of my struts app and have a performance
problem.

The pages are not served with a consistent speed. I have a page that
Goes thru the whole struts hoopla to be served (action servlet -> action
-> jsp).

To detect what might be the problem I make the same request several
times some of the requests will be served really fast (like no time)
while there is always one that happens with an unknown frequency that is
served muuuuuch slower than the others.

The top shows that during that slow serving request tomcat's utilization
grows rapidly and falls down slowly.

We are using 4.1.27 on solaris java 1.4.1_04.

Does anyone know what might be wrong?

>From what it looks like to me is that somehow JSP (or parts of it) get
recompiled periodically without the JSPs being changed.

Re: Slow serving requests issue

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.
On Wed, October 1, 2003 at 3:57 pm, Alex Shneyderman sent the following

> I just finished development of my struts app and have a performance
> problem.
>
> The pages are not served with a consistent speed. I have a page that
> Goes thru the whole struts hoopla to be served (action servlet -> action
> -> jsp).
>
> To detect what might be the problem I make the same request several
> times some of the requests will be served really fast (like no time)
> while there is always one that happens with an unknown frequency that is
> served muuuuuch slower than the others.
>
> The top shows that during that slow serving request tomcat's utilization
> grows rapidly and falls down slowly.
>
> We are using 4.1.27 on solaris java 1.4.1_04.
>
> Does anyone know what might be wrong?
>
> From what it looks like to me is that somehow JSP (or parts of it) get
> recompiled periodically without the JSPs being changed.

Weird.  Unfortunately, unless you can create a simple test case, I don't
think anyone will be able to help much.

-Dave

Re: Slow serving requests issue

Posted by Filip Hanik <de...@hanik.com>.
GC? if would be really awesome if you had a test case where you could
replicate this for us

Filip