Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/27 16:32:23 UTC

Re: Import Handler for tokenizing facet string into multi-valued solr.StrField..

Tokenization is fine with facets, that caution is about, say, faceting
on the tokenized body of a document where you have potentially
a huge number of unique tokens.

But if there is a controlled number of distinct values, you shouldn't have
to do anything except index to a tokenized field. I'd remove stemming,
WordDelimiterFactory, etc though, in fact I'd probably just go with
WhiteSpaceTokenizer and, maybe, LowerCaseFilter.

But if you have a huge number of unique values, it doesn't matter whether
they are tokenized or strings, it'll still be a problem.

One note: when faceting for the first time on a newly-started Solr instance,
the caches are filled and the *first* query will be slower, so measure
subsequent queries.

Best
Erick