Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Max Pfingsthorn <m....@hippo.nl> on 2005/11/21 18:05:23 UTC

event aware object cache?

Hi Cocooners!

I have a question: I couldn't find a nice EventAware object cache in Cocoon, the eventcache block only implements the o.a.c.caching.Cache which I need to pass a byte array. Serializing/deserializing is not really an option for me.
What I would like is a (not necessarily persistent) EventAware cache for objects used for form my responses of a generator. I could imagine that this sort of cache might be useful for others as well. If so, and it is not implemented yet, I would like to go ahead and do so.

WDYT? Does anyone have any pointers for me?

Best regards,

Max Pfingsthorn

Hippo

Oosteinde 11
1017WT Amsterdam
The Netherlands
Tel  +31 (0)20 5224466
m.pfingsthorn@hippo.nl / www.hippo.nl

Re: event aware object cache?

Posted by Geoff Howard <ge...@gmail.com>.
On 11/21/05, Max Pfingsthorn <m....@hippo.nl> wrote:
> Hi Cocooners!
>
> I have a question: I couldn't find a nice EventAware object cache in Cocoon, the eventcache block only implements the o.a.c.caching.Cache which I need to pass a byte array. Serializing/deserializing is not really an option for me.
> What I would like is a (not necessarily persistent) EventAware cache for objects used for form my responses of a generator. I could imagine that this sort of cache might be useful for others as well. If so, and it is not implemented yet, I would like to go ahead and do so.
>
> WDYT? Does anyone have any pointers for me?

Hmm, it's been a while since I've looked at this and the code base WRT
the Cache/Store code has changed since in a way I didn't keep fully
abreast of.  The original intention of the EventAware code was to do
exactly what you wanted.  IIRC the Cache used to have a transient
front-end backed by a persistent backend transparently.  Since then
the terminology and code was changed I think to have Stores be
transient and Cache persistent.

For your need, it may only be necessary to factor the relevant code
out of the Cache to a more generic place where both Store and Cache
can take advantage of it.

I can't give it a lot of time at the moment, but do want to help make
sure this is generally useful.  Can you provide some more details of
the problem as it exists now to help me get up to speed quickly?

Thanks,
Geoff