Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ryan Cuprak <rc...@mac.com> on 2006/06/12 16:48:42 UTC

Retrieving the HiveMind registry built by ApplicationServlet

Hello,
 How do I snag the HiveMind registry which is built by processing the hivemodule.xml in WEB-INF? I am trying to expose my Hivemind service as a webservice (JAXRPC). My Hivemind service is used in serveral pages presently. Looking over the code for the ApplicationServlet it looks like it stores it in the ServletContext which isn't visible to my webservice implementation. Hopefully this makes sense...
 Should I:
 1) reload the registry
 2) store the registry in a static variable
 3) is there another trick available?

 Thanks,
 Ryan

Re: Retrieving the HiveMind registry built by ApplicationServlet

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
I don't know, it depends on what you are doing.

I built one application that had various services for the "web layer" which
used the hivemodule.xml + sub module files included in from that . ...Then
there was the "appserver" (which was just a hivemind registry running ) that
had it's own hivemodule.xml files as well.

If your configuration needs are more complicated than what the default
servlet provides you may want to extend it like Norbert suggested.

On 6/12/06, Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com> wrote:

> I think it's only theory, there should be an official way for easy
> registry access...
> For example sometimes I have to access services from non-hivemind POJOs,
> servlet filters, etc.
>
> Regards,
> Norbi
>
> Jesse Kuhnert wrote:
> > Why do you need access to the Registry object at all? You should just be
> > able to define your own hivemodule.xml file and do whatever you want
> with
> > your services.
> >
> > It's not made easily available on purpose, because there should (in
> > theory)
> > be no reason for you to use it directly.
> >
> > On 6/12/06, Ryan Cuprak <rc...@mac.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >> How do I snag the HiveMind registry which is built by processing the
> >> hivemodule.xml in WEB-INF? I am trying to expose my Hivemind service
> >> as a
> >> webservice (JAXRPC). My Hivemind service is used in serveral pages
> >> presently. Looking over the code for the ApplicationServlet it looks
> >> like it
> >> stores it in the ServletContext which isn't visible to my webservice
> >> implementation. Hopefully this makes sense...
> >> Should I:
> >> 1) reload the registry
> >> 2) store the registry in a static variable
> >> 3) is there another trick available?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Ryan

> 2006.06.09.

Jesse Kuhnert
Tacos/Tapestry, team member/developer

dojo/tapestry/tacos/hivemind.

Re: Retrieving the HiveMind registry built by ApplicationServlet

Posted by Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com>.

Posted by Ryan Cuprak <rc...@mac.com>.

 So the practice is to only put Tapestry related Hivemind services/configuration into the WEB-INF/hivemodule.xml and your own service in a different config file? That sounds reasonable.

 -Ryan

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norbert Sándor <de...@erinors.com>.
You can store the Registry to anywhere, by subclassing
ApplicationServlet.constructRegistry()

Regards,
Norbi