Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2007/08/22 03:01:37 UTC

Depth support and backwards compatibility

I was playing around with a trunk build while testing mod_dontdothat,
and noticed that I was getting errors like this when trying to do a
regular recursive checkout with an older (1.4.2) client:

$ svn co http://localhost:8080/svn/repos/trunk foo
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/repos/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: Unsupported report depth 'unknown'

Is this a known problem?  It looks like the error is coming from
reporter.c in the write_path_info function, and the check for unknown
was added in r24453 and modified in r24968, both of which seem to be
related to adding backwards compatibility support.  I'm absolutely out
of my depth on this stuff, as I've only been skimming the mailing list
discussions about it for some time, but I must admit I was quite
surprised to see my 1.4.2 client error out like that...

-garrett

Re: Depth support and backwards compatibility

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 8/22/07, Vlad Georgescu <vg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Karl Fogel wrote:
> > "Garrett Rooney" <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
> >> I was playing around with a trunk build while testing mod_dontdothat,
> >> and noticed that I was getting errors like this when trying to do a
> >> regular recursive checkout with an older (1.4.2) client:
> >>
> >> $ svn co http://localhost:8080/svn/repos/trunk foo
> >> svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/repos/!svn/vcc/default'
> >> svn: Unsupported report depth 'unknown'
> >>
> >> Is this a known problem?  It looks like the error is coming from
> >> reporter.c in the write_path_info function, and the check for unknown
> >> was added in r24453 and modified in r24968, both of which seem to be
> >> related to adding backwards compatibility support.  I'm absolutely out
> >> of my depth on this stuff, as I've only been skimming the mailing list
> >> discussions about it for some time, but I must admit I was quite
> >> surprised to see my 1.4.2 client error out like that...
> >
> > If old clients are erroring, that's a bug!  I'll take a look, thanks
> > for the report.
>
> I fixed this in r26242.

Thanks Vlad!

Posted by Vlad Georgescu <vg...@gmail.com>.
Karl Fogel wrote:
> "Garrett Rooney" <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
>> I was playing around with a trunk build while testing mod_dontdothat,
>> and noticed that I was getting errors like this when trying to do a
>> regular recursive checkout with an older (1.4.2) client:
>>
>> $ svn co http://localhost:8080/svn/repos/trunk foo
>> svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/repos/!svn/vcc/default'
>> svn: Unsupported report depth 'unknown'
>>
>> Is this a known problem?  It looks like the error is coming from
>> reporter.c in the write_path_info function, and the check for unknown
>> was added in r24453 and modified in r24968, both of which seem to be
>> related to adding backwards compatibility support.  I'm absolutely out
>> of my depth on this stuff, as I've only been skimming the mailing list
>> discussions about it for some time, but I must admit I was quite
>> surprised to see my 1.4.2 client error out like that...
>
> If old clients are erroring, that's a bug!  I'll take a look, thanks
> for the report.

I fixed this in r26242.

--
Vlad

Re: Depth support and backwards compatibility

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Garrett Rooney" <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> writes:
> I was playing around with a trunk build while testing mod_dontdothat,
> and noticed that I was getting errors like this when trying to do a
> regular recursive checkout with an older (1.4.2) client:
>
> $ svn co http://localhost:8080/svn/repos/trunk foo
> svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/repos/!svn/vcc/default'
> svn: Unsupported report depth 'unknown'
>
> Is this a known problem?  It looks like the error is coming from
> reporter.c in the write_path_info function, and the check for unknown
> was added in r24453 and modified in r24968, both of which seem to be
> related to adding backwards compatibility support.  I'm absolutely out
> of my depth on this stuff, as I've only been skimming the mailing list
> discussions about it for some time, but I must admit I was quite
> surprised to see my 1.4.2 client error out like that...

If old clients are erroring, that's a bug!  I'll take a look, thanks
for the report.

-Karl