Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> on 2006/09/29 20:21:12 UTC

Velocity Hackathon - October 9/10

Hi,

We're holding a mini 'hackathon' for Velocity at ApacheCon October 9 &
10.  Henning and I will be there, though we welcome participation from
others at the con or remotely.  I'm looking forward to the focused
time together.

I'd like to challenge us to ready ourselvesfor a release right after
ApacheCon.  I've grouped the open items below.  I'll take personal
responsibility to see that issue below with a submitted patch that is
ready (or almost ready) makes it in.  Many of those are mine, anyway.

The remaining bugs are all fairly subtle.  They seem to be grouped
around escaping issues, macro issues, and error reporting issues.
With a little luck we can work through most of them.  If anyone wants
to dive into the code and work through a few, that'd be fabulous.

Two specific items we could use help on.  Anyone a Texen or DVSL guru?
 VELOCITY-413 (DVSL) really needs to be fixed.  And there's a nice
Texen patch (VELOCITY-422) waiting to be added.

Cheers,

WILL

Bugs (has patch/partial patch)
---
VELOCITY-132	IllegalArgumentException while calling an overloaded method
		(needs a little work)

Bugs (no patches)
---

VELOCITY-449	Velocity Uberspector behaves differently for get(String)
and put(String, Object) methods
VELOCITY-456	Uberspector chokes on a number of corner cases
VELOCITY-458	InternalContextBase defines non-serializable non-transient fields

VELOCITY-71	False positive error condition parsing VM_global_library.vm
VELOCITY-82	VM libs will not autoreload if unparseable at Velocity startup

VELOCITY-214	References to non-public members (inner classes, fields,
etc.) should log a warning rather than failing silently
VELOCITY-251	$\!{foo} doesn't render as expected
VELOCITY-264	Escaping in form of "$\!{foo}" does not work
VELOCITY-280	Parsing of braces after a reference fails
VELOCITY-209	Encountered ")" Was expecting one of: ")"

VELOCITY-24	calls to local macros not always made when template caching is off
VELOCITY-262	#set not parsed in #macro
VELOCITY-285	reference within macro and foreach is incorrect
VELOCITY-435	ParseErrorException not thrown with #macro parse error

VELOCITY-455	Error in chapter "Escaping VTL Directives" in the User Guide
VELOCITY-457	documentation mistake? order of Velocimacros in template

VELOCITY-413	DVSL doesn't appear to work with Velocity 1.5

Enhancements (with patches/partial patches)
---
VELOCITY-405  Document new Event Handler features (needs work from WGH)
VELOCITY-423  Report invalid references (needs work from WGH)
VELOCITY-179  Prevent execution of methods on Class, ClassLoader and
related classes (needs work from WGH)

VELOCITY-422	Add support for <property> and <propertyset> nested
elements to TexenTask.

VELOCITY-414	Extend the MethodInvocation exception to be able to give
the velocity macro writer a usefull error page
		(needs work)

Re: Velocity Hackathon - October 9/10

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Will,

thanks for the feedback. I will do Click Framework 1.0 release
soonish, and then do a Click 1.1 release to pickup the new Velocity
1.5 build when it goes final.

I will keep you posted on compatability issues with Click and Cayenne :)

regards Malcolm Edgar

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
All the known bugs, of course.

We might release if a couple of bugs remain stubbornly unfixed, but I'd like
to get most done.  We've fixed dozens since 1.4. It'll be a pleasure to stop
telling users who report the same problem for the umpteenth time "use the
source control head, it's fixed" or "this is a known issue, we'll get to it
eventually".

WILL

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hi Malcolm,

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Will,

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Will Glass-Husain" <wg...@forio.com> writes:

Thanks Will for summing this up.

Everyone that wants to join but is afraid to "dive into the code":

I'd love to get some help for the docbook documentation (which is
available from
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/velocity/docbook/trunk/).

All you need is minor understanding of docbook, the xxe editor from
http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/ (which is free and runs everywhere
from Linux to MacOS and Windows) and some basic knowledge of
Velocity. And you will have Will and me around to poke holes into our
brains and get all the information out that you always wanted to
have. :-)

	Best regards
		Henning

> [...]

>VELOCITY-285	reference within macro and foreach is incorrect
>VELOCITY-435	ParseErrorException not thrown with #macro parse error

>VELOCITY-455	Error in chapter "Escaping VTL Directives" in the User Guide
>VELOCITY-457	documentation mistake? order of Velocimacros in template

>VELOCITY-413	DVSL doesn't appear to work with Velocity 1.5

>Enhancements (with patches/partial patches)
>---
>VELOCITY-405  Document new Event Handler features (needs work from WGH)
>VELOCITY-423  Report invalid references (needs work from WGH)
>VELOCITY-179  Prevent execution of methods on Class, ClassLoader and
>related classes (needs work from WGH)

>VELOCITY-422	Add support for <property> and <propertyset> nested
>elements to TexenTask.

>VELOCITY-414	Extend the MethodInvocation exception to be able to give
>the velocity macro writer a usefull error page

Social behaviour: Bavarians can be extremely egalitarian and folksy.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bavaria
Most Franconians do not like to be called Bavarians.
                                    -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franconia

Re: Velocity Hackathon - October 9/10

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
I won't be at ApacheCon, but i'll try to set aside sometime those days
to help out.  And of course, i will at least be reviewing all the
changes. :)

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
I'll be there...