Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/14 18:21:12 UTC

[VOTE] 2.4.0 RC0

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the first candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.4.0.
There is work in progress for couple blockers PRs. I am publishing RC0 to
avoid further delays in testing the release.

This release includes many new features, including:
- Allow consumers to fetch from closest replica
- Support for incremental cooperative rebalancing to the consumer rebalance
protocol
- MirrorMaker 2.0 (MM2), a new multi-cluster, cross-datacenter replication
engine
- New Java authorizer Interface
- Support for  non-key joining in KTable
- Administrative API for replica reassignment
- Sticky partitioner
- Return topic metadata and configs in CreateTopics response
- Securing Internal connect REST endpoints
- API to delete consumer offsets and expose it via the AdminClient.

Release notes for the 2.4.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~manikumar/kafka-2.4.0-rc0/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test  by  Thursday, November 20, 9am PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~manikumar/kafka-2.4.0-rc0/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~manikumar/kafka-2.4.0-rc0/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.4 branch) is the 2.4.0 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/2.4.0-rc0

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/24/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/24/protocol.html

Thanks,
Manikumar

Re: [VOTE] 2.4.0 RC0

Posted by Eric Lalonde <er...@autonomic.ai>.
Hello,

- all PGP signatures are good
- All md5, sha1sums and sha512sums pass

2648 unit test pass, 1 failure (ran twice)

ClientsMetricsTest.shouldAddCommitIdMetric Failed:

Java.lang.AssertionError:
  Unexpected method call StreamsMetricsImpl.addClientLevelImmutableMetric("commit-id", "The version control commit ID of the Kafka Streams client", INFO, "unknown"):
    StreamsMetricsImpl.addClientLevelImmutableMetric("commit-id", "The version control commit ID of the Kafka Streams client", INFO, and(not("unknown"), notNull())): expected: 1, actual: 0
	at org.easymock.internal.MockInvocationHandler.invoke(MockInvocationHandler.java:44)
	at org.easymock.internal.ObjectMethodsFilter.invoke(ObjectMethodsFilter.java:101)
	at org.easymock.internal.ClassProxyFactory$MockMethodInterceptor.intercept(ClassProxyFactory.java:97)
	at org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.metrics.StreamsMetricsImpl$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$43750e14.addClientLevelImmutableMetric(<generated>)
	at org.apache.kafka.streams.internals.metrics.ClientMetrics.addCommitIdMetric(ClientMetrics.java:80)
	at org.apache.kafka.streams.internals.metrics.ClientMetricsTest.setUpAndVerifyMetricOneParam(ClientMetricsTest.java:116)
	at org.apache.kafka.streams.internals.metrics.ClientMetricsTest.shouldAddCommitIdMetric(ClientMetricsTest.java:65)
	at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:59)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:12)
	at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:56)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod.evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:17)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:305)
	at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner$1.evaluate(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:100)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runLeaf(ParentRunner.java:365)
	at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:103)
	at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:63)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$4.run(ParentRunner.java:330)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:78)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:328)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$100(ParentRunner.java:65)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:292)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:305)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:412)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassExecutor.runTestClass(JUnitTestClassExecutor.java:110)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassExecutor.execute(JUnitTestClassExecutor.java:58)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassExecutor.execute(JUnitTestClassExecutor.java:38)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.AbstractJUnitTestClassProcessor.processTestClass(AbstractJUnitTestClassProcessor.java:62)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.SuiteTestClassProcessor.processTestClass(SuiteTestClassProcessor.java:51)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor11.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:36)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:24)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ContextClassLoaderDispatch.dispatch(ContextClassLoaderDispatch.java:33)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ProxyDispatchAdapter$DispatchingInvocationHandler.invoke(ProxyDispatchAdapter.java:94)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy2.processTestClass(Unknown Source)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.worker.TestWorker.processTestClass(TestWorker.java:118)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor10.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:36)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:24)
	at org.gradle.internal.remote.internal.hub.MessageHubBackedObjectConnection$DispatchWrapper.dispatch(MessageHubBackedObjectConnection.java:182)
	at org.gradle.internal.remote.internal.hub.MessageHubBackedObjectConnection$DispatchWrapper.dispatch(MessageHubBackedObjectConnection.java:164)
	at org.gradle.internal.remote.internal.hub.MessageHub$Handler.run(MessageHub.java:412)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ExecutorPolicy$CatchAndRecordFailures.onExecute(ExecutorPolicy.java:64)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ManagedExecutorImpl$1.run(ManagedExecutorImpl.java:48)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ThreadFactoryImpl$ManagedThreadRunnable.run(ThreadFactoryImpl.java:56)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Steps to reproduce this failure:

$ git clone https://github.com/elalonde/kafka
$ ./kafka/bin/verifykafka-rc.sh 2.4.0 https://home.apache.org/~manikumar/kafka-2.4.0-rc0

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 2.4.0 RC0

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bruno,

Just to clarify, I ran the tests from the command line: ./gradlew
streams:test

Regards,
--Vahid

--

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 2.4.0 RC0

Posted by Eric Lalonde <er...@autonomic.ai>.
Hi all,

Also seeing repeated failures of kafka.api.SaslPlainPlaintextConsumerTest > testCoordinatorFailover:

kafka.api.SaslPlainPlaintextConsumerTest > testCoordinatorFailover FAILED
    java.lang.AssertionError: expected:<None> but was:<Some(org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.CommitFailedException: Commit cannot be completed since the group has already rebalanced and assigned the partitions to another member. This means that the time between subsequent calls to poll() was longer than the configured max.poll.interval.ms, which typically implies that the poll loop is spending too much time message processing. You can address this either by increasing max.poll.interval.ms or by reducing the maximum size of batches returned in poll() with max.poll.records.)>

Given the nature of the error, it may be a timing issue in the test itself, but it is repeatable, so I thought I’d raise it.

To reproduce:

$ ./gradlew integrationTest

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
Fix via https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7707

Thanks for the quick fix Bruno!

Posted by Eric Lalonde <er...@autonomic.ai>.
Hi all,

Posted by Eric Lalonde <er...@autonomic.ai>.

Posted by Eric Lalonde <er...@autonomic.ai>.

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bruno,

--

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 2.4.0 RC0

Posted by Bruno Cadonna <br...@confluent.io>.
Hi,

Posted by Bruno Cadonna <br...@confluent.io>.
Hi,

Posted by Vahid Hashemian <va...@gmail.com>.

--

Thanks!
--Vahid

Re: [VOTE] 2.4.0 RC0

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Thanks you for testing RC0. The following blocker issues were fixed after
RC0.

https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/7691

I am canceling RC0 VOTE and will create new RC soon.

Thanks,
Manikumar

Re: [VOTE] 2.4.0 RC0

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.