Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2012/05/01 03:32:58 UTC

Re: are the *.exp files still used by any platform?

On 4/29/2012 6:25 PM, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Am 29.04.2012 22:59, schrieb Eric Covener:
>> AFAICT AIX/libtool uses export files generated during the build, but
>> does not use the checked in ones.
> well, thats the point: if those in svn were used then a lot would be missing since all
> newer modules dont have them ...

Windows does not need them; if OS/2, Netware and AIX don't either, let's
please axe them from svn.

Re: are the *.exp files still used by any platform?

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 5/1/2012 4:00 PM, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> Am 01.05.2012 16:30, schrieb Eric Covener:
>> Even 2.0 seems to just generate libmod_foo.exp then pass the generated
>> file to the linker, but I wouldn't go out of your way removing them
>> from 2.0 and 2.2 if they aren't bothering anyone.
> hmmm, so you say axe from 2.4.x/HEAD but keep ìn 2.2.x and 2.0.x?? Why keep
> non-used/non-functional files?
> Not that the files do bother me in any way, and I dont care about - but now since we found
> they are obsolete why not clean them up?

Because that would be another diff that the reviewer needs to substantiate.
Maintenance branches should only have necessary, not cosmetic maintenance.
This is why it is evil to do major whitespace corrections on those branches,
it just muddies the picture for the rest of us.

Re: are the *.exp files still used by any platform?

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi Eric,
Am 01.05.2012 16:30, schrieb Eric Covener:
> Even 2.0 seems to just generate libmod_foo.exp then pass the generated
> file to the linker, but I wouldn't go out of your way removing them
> from 2.0 and 2.2 if they aren't bothering anyone.
hmmm, so you say axe from 2.4.x/HEAD but keep ìn 2.2.x and 2.0.x?? Why
keep non-used/non-functional files?
Not that the files do bother me in any way, and I dont care about - but
now since we found they are obsolete why not clean them up?

Gün.

Re: are the *.exp files still used by any platform?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Am 01.05.2012 03:32, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
> On 4/29/2012 6:25 PM, Guenter Knauf wrote:
>> Am 29.04.2012 22:59, schrieb Eric Covener:
>>> AFAICT AIX/libtool uses export files generated during the build, but
>>> does not use the checked in ones.
>> well, thats the point: if those in svn were used then a lot would be missing since all
>> newer modules dont have them ...
>
> Windows does not need them; if OS/2, Netware and AIX don't either, let's
> please axe them from svn.
aha:
so from this commit it seems the *.exp were once added for AIX;
question is now if they are still used for the 2.0.x or 2.2.x branch?
Can someone familar with AIX please check how the build system for AIX
now works with these branches?

thanks, Gün.