Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2013/03/14 17:47:45 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Apache CloudStack entered the Incubator in April of 2012. We have made
significant progress with the project since moving over to Apache.

We have 31 committers and 13 PPMC members listed on our status page at [1],
not including the 8 mentors that helped guide our community through incubation.
16 of the committers and 7 of the PPMC members were added after the podling was
formed. One mentor joined the project after the podling started.  3 of the initial
committers that were not in the initial PPMC have now joined the PPMC. 7 of our
mentors will be remaining with the project as it transitions into a TLP.

We have verified that Apache CloudStack is a suitable name [2], and the
CloudStack marks are being donated from Citrix to the ASF.

We completed two releases (Apache CloudStack 4.0.0-incubating and Apache
CloudStack 4.0.1-incubating) and are currently preparing for two more (4.0.2
and 4.1.0).

Our community has created a set of bylaws for the project [3].

The community of Apache CloudStack is active, healthy, and growing and has
demonstrated the ability to self-govern using accepted Apache practices.

After holding a discussion [4][5], the Apache CloudStack community subsequently
voted overwhelmingly to graduate [6], collecting 55 +1 votes (including
4 from IPMC members), and no +0 or -1 votes.

IPMC members voting +1 in the project-level thread are:
 * Mohammad Nour El-Din (IPMC/mentor) [7]
 * Noah Slater (IPMC/mentor) [8]
 * Alex Karasulu (IPMC/mentor) [9]
 * Brett Porter (IPMC/mentor) [10]

Please cast your votes:

[ ] +1 Graduate Apache CloudStack from Apache Incubator
[ ] +0 Indifferent to graduation status of Apache CloudStack
[ ] -1 Reject graduation of Apache CloudStack from Apache Incubator because...

-chip

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/projects/cloudstack.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-23
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/apache-cloudstack-project-bylaws.html
[4] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201302.mbox/%3C20130213145014.GE800%40USLT-205755.sungardas.corp%3E
[5] http://markmail.org/message/3nluchj5q5waguws
[6] http://markmail.org/message/ntf777ctbhdytijp
[7] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201303.mbox/%3CCAOvkMoa4yK-L7T7OjER2pfWAAtkrOnZOe-icMPkoesWgAUDPbg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[8] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201303.mbox/%3CCAPaJBx6f4a58xky0jmVjn=xcYvxuU4DXDUEtqsr9OVWj80neWw@mail.gmail.com%3E
[9] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201303.mbox/%3CCADwPi+GfnOdTuydyuy8vZM3RttzBSBQ1kRZZUkWe4-T_QnnabQ@mail.gmail.com%3E
[10] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-cloudstack-dev/201303.mbox/%3C6F99D33D-641A-4B7D-8387-A420F8A88590@apache.org%3E

Proposed Resolution:

X. Establish the Apache CloudStack Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to providing and supporting Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
cloud computing platforms.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache CloudStack Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStack Project be and hereby is responsible
for the creation and maintenance of software related to providing and
supporting Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) cloud computing platforms.

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache CloudStack" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction
of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache CloudStack Project, and to
have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the scope
of responsibility of the Apache CloudStack Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby
are appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache CloudStack Project:

* Joe Brockmeier <jz...@apache.org>
* Will Chan <wi...@apache.org>
* Chip Childers <ch...@apache.org>
* Mohammad Nour El-Din <mn...@apache.org>
* Sebastien Goasguen <se...@apache.org>
* Matt Richard Hogstrom <ho...@apache.org>
* Wido den Hollander <wi...@apache.org>
* Alex Huang <ah...@apache.org>
* Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>
* Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>
* John Kinsella <jl...@apache.org>
* Kevin Kluge <kl...@apache.org>
* Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>
* David Nalley <ke...@apache.org>
* Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
* Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>
* Marcus Sorensen <ml...@apache.org>
* Edison Su <ed...@apache.org>
* Hugo Trippaers <hu...@apache.org>
* Chiradeep Vittal <ch...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Chip Childers be appointed to the
office of Vice President, Apache CloudStack, to serve in accordance with and
subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the initial Apache CloudStack PMC be and hereby is tasked
with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development
and increased participation in the Apache CloudStack Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStack Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator CloudStack podling;
and be it further

Incubator CloudStack podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are
hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM, Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
> and
> > subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
> > Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
> > or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that the initial Apache CloudStack PMC be and hereby is tasked
> > with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
> development
> > and increased participation in the Apache CloudStack Project; and be it
> further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStack Project be and hereby is tasked with
> > the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator CloudStack
> podling;
> > and be it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> > Incubator CloudStack podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: [VOTE] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
+ 1 (binding)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1 !

On 14/03/2013, at 12:47 PM, Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> wrote:

> [...]
> office of Vice President, Apache CloudStack, to serve in accordance with and
> subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
> Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
> or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache CloudStack PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development
> and increased participation in the Apache CloudStack Project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStack Project be and hereby is tasked with
> the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator CloudStack podling;
> and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> Incubator CloudStack podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are

Brett Porter
brett@apache.org
http://brettporter.wordpress.com/
http://au.linkedin.com/in/brettporter
http://twitter.com/brettporter

Re: [VOTE] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

Dan

> [...]

> office of Vice President, Apache CloudStack, to serve in accordance with and
> subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
> Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
> or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache CloudStack PMC be and hereby is tasked
> with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open development
> and increased participation in the Apache CloudStack Project; and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStack Project be and hereby is tasked with
> the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator CloudStack podling;
> and be it further
>
> RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> Incubator CloudStack podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are

Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Posted by Alan Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
+1 binding

Regards,
Alan

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
+1

(I figure a second vote from me can't hurt...)

NS

Re: [VOTE] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
+1 (binding)

Greetings, Marcel

Re: [VOTE] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.
What Niall said. +1 and congrats.

Danese

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1!

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk> wrote:

> [...]
> and
> > subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
> > Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
> > or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that the initial Apache CloudStack PMC be and hereby is tasked
> > with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
> development
> > and increased participation in the Apache CloudStack Project; and be it
> further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that the Apache CloudStack Project be and hereby is tasked with
> > the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator CloudStack
> podling;
> > and be it further
> >
> > RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache
> > Incubator CloudStack podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator

Best Regards,
-- Alex

Re: [VOTE] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

-- Andrei Savu

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding
--
Ioan Eugen Stan

Re: [VOTE] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

I've been keeping a bit of an eye on that community and FWIW
I think they are in a reasonable shape.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Graduate CloudStack from Incubator

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Uh, +1 also!  Drat, missed the window.

I wanted to mention that the Apache CloudStack PPMC has done a great job
on ensuring their branding comes over cleanly from Citrix, and has
really put work into building an independent community, so kudos are
definitely deserved.

- Shane