Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/09 20:32:56 UTC

[VOTE] jul instead of commons-logging

hi,

short description:
this first vote is about the switch from commons-logging (cl) to
java.util.logging (jul).
it's a binding vote for the next releases of all myfaces libs which are
currently using commons-logging.
so e.g. trinidad isn't affected. details are available at [1]

if there won't be a majority, we will open a second vote (switch from
commons-logging to slf4j).

[ ] +1 for replacing cl with jul
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 for keeping cl or to force a second vote for slf4j as replacement

regards,
gerhard

[1] http://www.nabble.com/slf4j-and-myfaces-td23890255.html

Re: [VOTE] jul instead of commons-logging

Posted by Michael Concini <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Curtiss Howard <cu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hazem Saleh <ha...@apache.org>.
+1 for JUL.

--
Hazem Ahmed Saleh Ahmed

Author of (The Definitive Guide to Apache MyFaces and Facelets):
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Guide-Apache-MyFaces-Facelets/dp/1590597370

Web blog: http://www.jroller.com/page/HazemBlog

[Web 2.0] Google Maps Integration with JSF:
http://code.google.com/p/gmaps4jsf/
http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=IntroductiontoGMaps4JSF

Re: [VOTE] jul instead of commons-logging

Posted by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com>.
-0.5, I like slf4j :)

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
+0.5

I like SLF4J as well, but I won't get in the way of JUL.
Never used JUL myself, so I don't know for sure if there might be any
hidden quirks.  ;-)

--Manfred

AW: [VOTE] jul instead of commons-logging

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
+0.75

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Gerhard
Petracek<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> short description:
> this first vote is about the switch from commons-logging (cl) to
> java.util.logging (jul).
> it's a binding vote for the next releases of all myfaces libs which are
> currently using commons-logging.
> so e.g. trinidad isn't affected. details are available at [1]
>
> if there won't be a majority, we will open a second vote (switch from
> commons-logging to slf4j).

> [ ] +1 for replacing cl with jul
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1 for keeping cl or to force a second vote for slf4j as replacement
>
> regards,
> gerhard
>
> [1] http://www.nabble.com/slf4j-and-myfaces-td23890255.html

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: [VOTE] jul instead of commons-logging

Posted by Jan-Kees van Andel <ja...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Hazem, +1 for Gerhards suggestion.

/Jan-Kees

Posted by Hazem Saleh <ha...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Ganesh<ga...@j4fry.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is this an invalid veto?

maybe. not sure if pushing this is healthy for the community too.
If he wants to not use jul, it is OK w/ me...

Posted by Ganesh <ga...@j4fry.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
+1 away from commons logging

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
Quick googling reveals that WAS does at least since 6.0,
http://www.webagesolutions.com/knowledgebase/waskb/waskb026/index.html
Weblogic also:
http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs81/javadocs/weblogic/logging/WLLevel.html

not sure about the others like jetty though, but you can use sl4j
adapters in the worst case in those servers, to rerout jul, am i right?

Werner

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,

in the thread "slf4j and myfaces" was a possible Problem mentioned:

>> What I'm not sure is
>> if the "JUL to other logging impl bridge" is multiple application
>> friendly. What happens if the JUL root handler is replaced (thats what
>> these bridges seem to do). Does this influence the servlet container
>> logging and other apps as well?
>
>Seems to be true, JUL is not container friendly by default. But this needs to be addressed by the container (and the Java Spec guys ;-) ).
>It seems, this is the reason for JULI, the Tomcat logging impl.
>Also JBoss solved that (as they use Tomcat ?!). See for a documentation here:
>
>http://www.jboss.org/file-access/default/members/jbossweb/freezone/docs/latest/logging.html
>
>They replace the LogManager by a container friendly LogManager. The JUL using app does not need to know that.

what about the other containers (WebSphere, WebLogic, ...)?

For tobago this can be an option only if all relevant containers do
something to support this.

(sorry, to busy to research this myself)

Regards,
    Volker

2009/6/10 Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>:
>>> it's a binding vote for the next releases of all myfaces libs which are
>
> ok, that answers my question.
>
>>> currently using commons-logging.
>>> so e.g. trinidad isn't affected. details are available at [1]
>>>
>>> if there won't be a majority, we will open a second vote (switch from
>>> commons-logging to slf4j).

>>> [ ] +1 for replacing cl with jul
>>> [ ] +0
>>> [X] -1 for keeping cl or to force a second vote for slf4j as replacement
>
> For Trinidad, we keep our Trinidad logger (at least I am not chaning that).
> The TrinidadLogger is internally using JUL, for what's worth. So I think
> we are fine with that, at least I hope...
>
> For core I am totally fine in using JUL, but for some reasons I don't like
> the corporate-ish voting style to force all the other sub-projects.
> (read: if tobago want's to use slf4j, why not ?)
>
> I think I will keep my +0.75 vote :-)
> But I am also for a more liberal debate, if some project (-> Tobago)
> want to use slf4j...
>
> Just my 2cents...
>
> -M
>

>>> regards,
>>> gerhard
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.nabble.com/slf4j-and-myfaces-td23890255.html
>>

>> --
>> Matthias Wessendorf

> Matthias Wessendorf

inexso - information exchange solutions GmbH
Bismarckstraße 13      | 26122 Oldenburg
Tel.: +49 441 4082 356 |
FAX:  +49 441 4082 355 | www.inexso.de

Re: [VOTE] jul instead of commons-logging

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
I think I have a question...

Is this to *force* all the subprojects to use jul ???
If so, I'll change my vote to -1

Also, I know that Tobago has a JIRA issue to use slf4j. What's
wrong with them using that ?

I am not sure on this vote, but if the goal is to *push* one decision
to all the subprojects, I am against it... This place is about OpenSource
and it is not like in a corporate world, where one guy (-> manager) has the
right to push one (stupid) thing and everybody has to follow...

(That's my personal take on it)
-Matthias

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
Sorry to pollute the vote with a discussion ;)
+1 for JUL

--
Grant Smith

Re: [VOTE] jul instead of commons-logging

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
+1