Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2012/11/08 01:26:15 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Policy proposal for JIRAs opened for unit test failures without patches attached

There has been a recent uptick in JIRAs opened for unit test failures
without patches attached. Since these merely duplicate information readily
available on our Jenkins, we should institute a policy of closing them as
Invalid if a patch is not attached to the JIRA in a timely manner (within
hours). Simply pointing out a failing test is not
a consequential contribution. We should also update the How To Contribute
documentation accordingly.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [DISCUSSION] Policy proposal for JIRAs opened for unit test failures without patches attached

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
I've talked about updating the jenkins builds in the past to break
them up into a flaky and non-flakey sets.  (it is something I've setup
on an internal jenkins instance). If we do that the the flakey tests
should have jiras until they get fixed.

I can't do this right now but could make some time to work on in
sometime next week.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: [DISCUSSION] Policy proposal for JIRAs opened for unit test failures without patches attached

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.
Oh yeah. That's definitely something to communicate.
I think your initial point was more nuanced, and I agree that filing a jira for a failing test is only usefully if somebody actually plans to work on it.

-- Lars

________________________________
> I'd say we keep the pressure up for failing tests... I.e. we file jiras.

I'm not advocating against filing JIRAs for failing tests.

I'm advocating for encouraging *users* to not put up JIRAs for failing tests without a patch for the problem.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

Re: [DISCUSSION] Policy proposal for JIRAs opened for unit test failures without patches attached

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I don't disagree disagree :-) but there's a difference between committers
doing this and users dropping by with unit test failures on their local box
with 0.90 or something like that. So maybe we can make an exception for
committers but still put something up to dissuade users from putting JIRAs
up like that unless they also have a patch contribution? This could be
making too much of this but it seems reasonable to have this discussion.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera