Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Prachi N. Thakar" <pr...@cs.duke.edu> on 2000/11/18 07:02:06 UTC

re. Measuring apache throughput

Hi,
	I am new to debugging apache code and need some help/info. I am
trying to measure the throughput of the apache webserver in terms of the
requests satisfied per second. Ideally, I would like to calculate the
throuput after every 1000 requests and write it to some file (eg.
error_log). However, there are two problems that I face:

1. Since there are a number of child processes created, the requests get
distributed to more than a single process and there is no global
information maintained. Would I have to manually calculate how long each
of the processes took to process the 1000 requests?

2. What is the ideal throughput for the Apache webserver. The way I am
doing it right now, I get very low values. Maybe my code is buggy but I
would like to compare it against some known value.

I have two clients constantly requesting for the same static file from the
server. My apache server is running on linux. (Apache_1.3.12)

Any help/info for the above problem will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Prachi Thakar

Re: re. Measuring apache throughput

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 01:02:06AM -0500, Prachi N. Thakar wrote:
> 1. Since there are a number of child processes created, the requests get
> distributed to more than a single process and there is no global
> information maintained. Would I have to manually calculate how long each
> of the processes took to process the 1000 requests?

No. Just calculate how fast each process handled them. Add them together.
Done.

> 2. What is the ideal throughput for the Apache webserver. The way I am
> doing it right now, I get very low values. Maybe my code is buggy but I
> would like to compare it against some known value.

There is no such thing as an "ideal throughput." When you figure out why
that is true, then you won't need to ask :-)

[ basically: what hardware? what OS? what mix of dynamic vs static pages?
  what network? latency? bandwidth? blah blah blah ]

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: re. Measuring apache throughput

Posted by Blue Lang <bl...@gator.net>.
On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Prachi N. Thakar wrote:

Hi.

did you try running the 'ab' program that comes with the apache
distribution? Look in the bin/ directory. It will measure rough thruput
for you.

Good luck,

--
   Blue Lang, Unix Voodoo Priest
   202 Ashe Ave, Apt 3, Raleigh, NC.                          919 835 1540