Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by "Petrenko, Vadim" <va...@ns.nl> on 2020/10/26 16:03:02 UTC

Inter-router routing protocol over AMQP?

Dear Qpid developers,

Interior routers use their specific Routing protocol to exchange routing information and discover each other.
Does this protocol use the regular AMQP as the underlying transport or is it a separate protocol running on the same port (like Artemis that can listen to CORE, AMQP, MQTT, etc. on the same port)?

While the documentation already states that: “Connections between the interior routers are encrypted (with SSL/TLS)", I also wanted to double check whether this encryption applies to the Routing protocol too?
And to complete the question: Are there any other (technical) protocols on the same port that are possibly not encrypted?

Thanks!

________________________________

Deze e-mail, inclusief eventuele bijlagen, is uitsluitend bestemd voor (gebruik door) de geadresseerde. De e-mail kan persoonlijke of vertrouwelijke informatie bevatten. Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van (de inhoud van) deze e-mail (en eventuele bijlagen) aan derden is uitdrukkelijk niet toegestaan. Indien u niet de bedoelde geadresseerde bent, wordt u vriendelijk verzocht degene die de e-mail verzond hiervan direct op de hoogte te brengen en de e-mail (en eventuele bijlagen) te vernietigen.

Informatie vennootschap<http://www.ns.nl/emaildisclaimer>

Re: Inter-router routing protocol over AMQP?

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 12:09 PM Petrenko, Vadim <va...@ns.nl>
wrote:

> Dear Qpid developers,
>
> Interior routers use their specific Routing protocol to exchange routing
> information and discover each other.
> Does this protocol use the regular AMQP as the underlying transport or is
> it a separate protocol running on the same port (like Artemis that can
> listen to CORE, AMQP, MQTT, etc. on the same port)?

The inter-router routing protocol runs over the same inter-router
connection that carries the routed traffic.  The protocol runs over AMQP,
using AMQP encoding and is encrypted in the same way as all other
inter-router traffic.

> While the documentation already states that: “Connections between the
> interior routers are encrypted (with SSL/TLS)", I also wanted to double
> check whether this encryption applies to the Routing protocol too?

Yes.  It is very important that the routing protocol be secured with
encryption and secure cryptographic authentication to prevent unauthorized
"routers" from joining the network.

> And to complete the question: Are there any other (technical) protocols on
> the same port that are possibly not encrypted?

No.  The encryption is applied at the connection level.  All interactions
that are multiplexed over those connections are encrypted.

All of this assumes that the inter-router listeners are configured to
require encryption.  It is possible to configure them to run in-the-clear
or with optional encryption.