Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2010/07/21 14:06:15 UTC

Build script licensing question

Hi all,

I'm planning to build a sample application that demonstrates a variety of means for distributing Pivot applications. The sample will include an Ant script that generates the following:

1) A .war file containing the Pivot application deployed as an applet, using the standard Ant <war> task.

2) A .zip file containing the application packaged as an executable JAR, using the standard Ant <jar> and <zip> tasks.

3) An .exe file containing the application packaged as a Windows executable, using the BSD-licened Launch4J Ant task:

  http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/index.html

I would also like to include an Ant target for the following:

4) A Mac OS X bundle for launching the application, packaged by the JarBundler Ant task:

  http://informagen.com/JarBundler/

However, JarBundler is GPL. I am wondering if it is OK for my Ant script to reference this task. Based on what I have read (http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html), it seems like it might be OK:

- The JarBundler libraries will not be stored in or distributed via ASF resources - the user will have to obtain and install them manually.

- The OS X bundler task will be optional, and will clearly state that it relies on GPL-licensed code.

Can someone please confirm/deny if my understanding is correct?

Thanks,
Greg

Re: Build script licensing question

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

>>> Just so there is closure, this is OK with me.
>>
>> Excellent. Thanks.
>
> I recommend linking to this thread/Sam's email as a note in the code.
> Saves it coming up as some debate in a couple of year's time :)

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: Build script licensing question

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> wrote:
>>> Correct - JarBundler is an Ant task. The only reference to it would be in a build.xml file. The target containing the task would be optional and would only function if the user had installed the required JARs on the Ant classpath.
>>
>> Just so there is closure, this is OK with me.
>
> Excellent. Thanks.

I recommend linking to this thread/Sam's email as a note in the code.
Saves it coming up as some debate in a couple of year's time :)

Hen

Re: Build script licensing question

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.