Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by mikeporter <mi...@udel.edu> on 2007/12/05 05:29:46 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] apachectl startssl returns "assertion 'rv == APR_SUCCESS" failed'

I think this is caused by Apache trying to bind to an IP that does not have
a PTR record or
other way to turn the IP into a name.  I ran into this a bit ago when
booting a server
that has an interal IP used to communicate with its platform controller.
This IP did not
have a name.  I temporarily solved the problem by changing from _default_ to
'*', but
this not a good solution because now Apache has bound to this special IP.  I
suspect this
is why the platform controller can not talk to the Solaris domain, but I'm
going to wait until
tomorrow before messing with it further.

Mike

RE: [users@httpd] apachectl startssl returns "assertion 'rv == APR_SUCCESS" failed'

Posted by Axel-Stephane SMORGRAV <Ax...@europe.adp.com>.
You can circumvent this problem by configuring your host to use a DNS server for name resolution, ie. configure nsswitch.conf with "host: file dns" and have a resolv.conf with appropriate contents.

The reason why you experience this error only on one of your servers is because one is configured for DNS resolution, and the other not.

This is a known bug in Apache 2.0.x. I believe it was solved in Apache 2.2.x

-ascs