Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by pr...@nokia.com on 2011/01/10 19:27:56 UTC

Dynamic creation and destroying hadoop on Rackspace

Hello all,
W have few Hadoop jobs that we are running on Hadoop RackSpace Cloud. The jobs run for a total of 3 to 5 hours a day. Currently I have manually installed and configrued Hadoop on Rackspace which is a laborious process (especially given that we have about 10 environments that we need to configure). So my question is about automatic creation and desrtoying of Hadoop cluster using a program (preferably Java). Here is my current deployment.

Glassfish (Node 1)
Mysql (Node 2)
Hadoop with 1 master and 5 Slaves (Nodes 3 to 8)

We can install Glassfish and MySql manually but we would like to dynamically create/install hadoop cluster, start the servers, run jobs and then destroy cluster on the cloud. Primary purpose of doing this is to make deployment easy and save costs. Since the jobs are run only for few hours a day we don't want to have Hadoop running on the cloud for the whole day.

Jeff Hammerbacher from Cloudera had suggested I look at Whirr and he was positive that I can do the above steps using Whirr. Has anyone done this using Whirr on Rackspace. I could not find any examples on how to dynamically install Hadoop cluster on Rackspace. Any information on this task would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Praveen

Re: Dynamic creation and destroying hadoop on Rackspace

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
Have you checked that the SOCKS proxy is working as expected? Maybe
there are some connectivity errors.

I have pasted bellow the relevant paragraph from the Quick Start Guide:

http://incubator.apache.org/whirr/quick-start-guide.html

-----------------
Run a proxy

For security reasons, traffic from the network your client is running
on is proxied through the master node of the cluster using an SSH
tunnel (a SOCKS proxy on port 6666).

A script to launch the proxy is created when you launch the cluster,
and may be found in ~/.whirr/<cluster-name>. Run it as a follows (in a
new terminal window):

% . ~/.whirr/myhadoopcluster/hadoop-proxy.sh
To stop the proxy, just kill the process with Ctrl-C.

Web browsers need to be configured to use this proxy too, so you can
view pages served by worker nodes in the cluster. The most convenient
way to do this is to use a proxy auto-config (PAC) file file, such as
this one [1] for Hadoop EC2 clusters.

If you are using Firefox, then you may find FoxyProxy [2] useful for
managing PAC files.

[1] http://apache-hadoop-ec2.s3.amazonaws.com/proxy.pac
[2] http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/
-----------------

Hope you will find this helpful :)

--
Andrei Savu -- andreisavu.ro

RE: Dynamic creation and destroying hadoop on Rackspace

Posted by pr...@nokia.com.

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:42 PM,  <pr...@nokia.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tom.
>
> 1. Is there already a script with default values for these properties and I need to modify it and place it in web accessible folder?

Yes, look in the scripts directory in the distribution.

> 2. Does it have to be web accessible only.

Yes.

> Is it possible to have the script on local machine where I am launching the hadoop cluster?

Not yet, but we'd like to move to such an approach (e.g.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-99).

> 3. Is this fix for Whirr 0.3.0 release time frame so I can avoid the dependency on a web server? Looks like hdfs properties can already be overwritten in hadoop.properties?

This would be supported by
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WHIRR-55, but this may not make
0.3.0.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Tom

> Praveen

>>> whirr.cluster-name=relevancycluster
>>> whirr.instance-templates=1 jt+nn,1 dn+tt whirr.provider=cloudservers
>>> whirr.identity=<rackspace-id>
>>> whirr.credential=<rckspace-api-password>
>>> #whirr.private-key-file=/home/hadoop/.ssh/id_rsa
>>> #whirr.public-key-file=/home/hadoop/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
>>>
>>> # Uncomment out these lines to run CDH
>>> whirr.hadoop-install-runurl=cloudera/cdh/install
>>> whirr.hadoop-configure-runurl=cloudera/cdh/post-configure
>>>
>>> # The size of the instance to use. See
>>> http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/serv$
>>> # id 3: 1GB, 1 virtual core
>>> # id 4: 2GB, 2 virtual cores
>>> # id 5: 4GB, 2 virtual cores
>>> # id 6: 8GB, 4 virtual cores
>>> # id 7: 15.5GB, 4 virtual cores
>>> whirr.hardware-id=4
>>> # Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid
>>> whirr.image-id=49

2. Does it have to be web accessible only. Is it possible to have the script on local machine where I am launching the hadoop cluster?

Posted by Tom White <to...@gmail.com>.

--
Andrei Savu -- andreisavu.ro

--
Andrei Savu -- andreisavu.ro

--
Andrei Savu -- andreisavu.ro

Re: Dynamic creation and destroying hadoop on Rackspace

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.

--
Andrei Savu -- andreisavu.ro

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
Can you post your Whirr properties file please (with credentials removed).

Thanks
Tom

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM,  <pr...@nokia.com> wrote:
> I am using the latest Whirr. For hadoop, I actually specified cloudera URL in the properties file but on master hadoop machine I saw references to hadoop-0.20. OS of my client is CentOS but I am going with default OS for hadoop which is Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> On Jan 10, 2011, at 6:38 PM, "ext Tom White" <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 2:22 PM,  <pr...@nokia.com> wrote:
>>> Looks like hadoop was installed but never started on the master node. There were no files under /var/log/hadoop on master node either.
>>>
>>> root@hadoop-master:~# netstat -a | grep 50030 returns nothing
>>>
>>> Does Whirr install and start Hadoop as "root"? Is that the problem? When I try to start Hadoop manually from hadoop master, I see following:
>>>
>>> --------------------------------
>>> root@hadoop-master:~# /etc/alternatives/hadoop-lib/bin/start-all.sh
>>> starting namenode, logging to /etc/alternatives/hadoop-lib/bin/../logs/hadoop-root-namenode-184-106-96-62.static.cloud-ips.com.out
>>> May not run daemons as root. Please specify HADOOP_NAMENODE_USER
>>
>> That's the problem. Which version of Whirr, Hadoop, OS are you using?
>>
>> Tom
>>
>>> The authenticity of host 'localhost (127.0.0.1)' can't be established.
>>> RSA key fingerprint is d4:3c:55:4d:76:62:3d:b2:e1:74:a7:6f:bf:92:ab:3d.
>>> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
>>> localhost: Warning: Permanently added 'localhost' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
>>> localhost: starting datanode, logging to /etc/alternatives/hadoop-lib/bin/../logs/hadoop-root-datanode-184-106-96-62.static.cloud-ips.com.out
>>> localhost: May not run daemons as root. Please specify HADOOP_DATANODE_USER
>>> localhost: starting secondarynamenode, logging to /etc/alternatives/hadoop-lib/bin/../logs/hadoop-root-secondarynamenode-184-106-96-62.static.cloud-ips.com.out
>>> localhost: May not run daemons as root. Please specify HADOOP_SECONDARYNAMENODE_USER
>>> starting jobtracker, logging to /etc/alternatives/hadoop-lib/bin/../logs/hadoop-root-jobtracker-184-106-96-62.static.cloud-ips.com.out
>>> May not run daemons as root. Please specify HADOOP_JOBTRACKER_USER
>>> localhost: starting tasktracker, logging to /etc/alternatives/hadoop-lib/bin/../logs/hadoop-root-tasktracker-184-106-96-62.static.cloud-ips.com.out
>>> localhost: May not run daemons as root. Please specify HADOOP_TASKTRACKER_USER
>>> --------------------------------
>>>
>>> Praveen

Yes it is 0.2.0 from Whirr's website, not from cloudera's website.

http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/software/apache//incubator/whirr/stable/whirr-0.2.0-incubating.tar.gz

Praveen
Which version specifically? 0.2.0, the one in CDH3b3, or trunk?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.