Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Julius Davies <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/05 15:05:35 UTC

Re: [httpclient] [ssl] 4.0's CN verification might cause some headaches for users

Thanks, everyone, for your comments!  I didn't realize Httpclient-4.0
was going to be such a dramatic change to the consumers.  Since that's
the case this isn't such a big deal.

Mind you, upgrading (or maybe "switching" is a better word) to
httpclient-4.0 should only affect the client code.  This change can
require people to fix their client, their server, and their DNS, and
this issue might not showup for people until they hit their production
environments.  I imagine it will be a little stressful!

Regarding:

https-no-host-verify://
https-completely-insecure://

I agree with Roland and Michael that it is best if people not use them
at all.  But I see so many people just blindly using "easy" on the
"httpclient-user" mailing list, I thought maybe
"https-completely-insecure://" would scare them off.

But I also agree that I'm probably being foolish, and that including
it might just encourage more people!

(I wonder if those schemes would have helped the public PKI situation
had they been part of the standards.  Probably not.)

--
yours,

Julius Davies
416-652-0183
http://juliusdavies.ca/

Re: [httpclient] [ssl] 4.0's CN verification might cause some headaches for users

Posted by Julius Davies <ju...@cucbc.com>.
Hi, Oleg, Jim, Martin, others on httpcomponents-dev,

On Mon, 2007-05-02 at 17:58 +0100, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I think there should no longer be any contrib SSL stuff in HttpClient
> 4.0, easy or otherwise. The users should simply get directed to Commons
> SSL / SSLUtils / whatever
>
> Julius,
>
> Where did the process get stuck again?
>
> Oleg

Here's a status update on not-yet-commons-ssl:

- not-yet-commons-ssl-0.3.5 released from
"http://juliusdavies.ca/commons-ssl/" on January 1st with better CN
verification (inspired by HTTPCLIENT-614 issue).
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-614)

- Mailing list started up.  4 subscribers!  Averaging 2 posts per
month!  :-)

- I think n-y-c-ssl is averaging about 2 downloads a day.

Jim kindly offered to sign a copy of the CCLA and send it back to CUCBC.
I sent Jim a self-addressed stamped envelope (hard to find U.S. stamps
in Canada!) on December 12th, and now I'm just waiting for the CCLA to
showup at CUCBC before I send an email to the Incubation PMC.

Hopefully the S.A.S.E. arrived and was large enough to hold the CCLA!
If not, I can send another one.

I'm doing things weird by doing the CCLA first, but I think that's the
most critical issue to get out of the way so that people can safely
download the library and play around with it.

yours,

Julius

--
Julius Davies, Senior Application Developer, Product Development
T 416-652-0183 | juliusdavies@cucbc.com

Re: [httpclient] [ssl] 4.0's CN verification might cause some headaches for users

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

> I think there should no longer be any contrib SSL stuff in HttpClient
> 4.0, easy or otherwise. The users should simply get directed to Commons
> SSL / SSLUtils / whatever

fair enough. So it will just be clear statements in the SSL guide 4.0.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [httpclient] [ssl] 4.0's CN verification might cause some headaches for users

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Julius,