Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chong Yu Meng <ch...@cymulacrum.net> on 2003/03/13 07:48:46 UTC

error pages and web.xml

Greetings !

I'm having problems configuring error pages in Tomcat. I've written a
servlet called ErrorHandler that should handle any exceptions thrown by
my servlets. Inside the web.xml of my web application I specified :

<error-page>
   <exception-type>javax.servlet.ServletException</exception-type>
   <location>/ErrorHandler</location>
</error-page>

This does not work, and Tomcat still handles any exceptions thorwn by my
servlets. However, when I change the configuration to :

<error-page>
   <error-code>500</error-code>
   <location>/500.html</location>
</error-page>

This works. I tested my ErrorHandler servlet alone, and that seems to
work as well.

My question is : did I do something wrong ? Did I specify the right
<exception-type> to handle 500 errors ?

I'm using Tomcat 4.1.18, Apache 1.3.27 and IBM Java2 SDK 1.3.1

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Regards,
pascal chong