Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com> on 2006/06/25 07:40:39 UTC

Re: [RTC] Removal of the javamail-transport code.

Rick McGuire wrote:
> Ok, on to the next phase of the javamail reorganization.  This patch

> is to remove the javamail-transport module and replace it with
> references to the javamail-providers-1.3.1 jar file.
> Rick
+1

BTW, do you think that this code is ready for the Apache James people to
start using?  I noticed that they have sun specific classes in their server.

Regards,
Alan

Re: [RTC] Removal of the javamail-transport code.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Rick McGuire wrote:
>> Ok, on to the next phase of the javamail reorganization.  This patch
>>
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2147
>>
>> is to remove the javamail-transport module and replace it with
>> references to the javamail-providers-1.3.1 jar file.
>> Rick
> +1
>
> BTW, do you think that this code is ready for the Apache James people
> to start using?  I noticed that they have sun specific classes in
> their server.
I just did a quick scan of the code, and the only javamail sun class I
see used is com.sun.mail.handlers.message_rfc822, which the G. version
has an equivalent.  The javamail api should be robust enough to use
(bugs not with standing, of course).

Rick

Re: geronimo javamail and James (Was: [RTC] Removal of the javamail-transport code.)

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>>>
>>> We don't need both at the same time.
>>> But:
>>> 1) I guess that geronimo-javamail is not as stable and feature
>>> complete as the sun-javamail.
>>> 2) We use javamail 1.4 apis (geronimo-javamail seems to be 1.3
>>> compliant)
>>>
>>> So what I think we could do is adding the handling of geronimo
>>> specific stuff while keeping the default to sun.
>>> This way one could test it and find out the differences.
>>
>> 1) Maybe not as stable.  What features do you think are missing?
>
> I've not checked geronimo smtp transport, Is there a feature list for
> current geronimo stmp implementation compared to sun smtp transport?
All answers below are for the latest version.  The one that shipped in
Geronimo 1.0 did not support these.

> Does it support the quitwait?
yes

> bindaddress/port for sockets?
yes

> does it support appending further strings at the end of the MAIL
> command and the RCPT command (ORCPT, NOTIFY).
yes
> How does it compare in converting messages from 7bit to 8bit when
> sending to  servers that supports 8bitmime, and from 8bit to 7bit when
> sending to servers that do not support 8bitmime?
I haven't implemented 8bitmime yet, as I've not really found a good
description for what needs to be done to support that.  I don't think
it's a big issue, I just
need to understand what it means to support it.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>> Why would we need both?
>>
>> We don't need both at the same time.
>> But:
>> 1) I guess that geronimo-javamail is not as stable and feature
>> complete as the sun-javamail.
>> 2) We use javamail 1.4 apis (geronimo-javamail seems to be 1.3 compliant)
>>
>> So what I think we could do is adding the handling of geronimo
>> specific stuff while keeping the default to sun.
>> This way one could test it and find out the differences.
>
> 1) Maybe not as stable.  What features do you think are missing?

I've not checked geronimo smtp transport, Is there a feature list for
current geronimo stmp implementation compared to sun smtp transport?

Does it support the quitwait? bindaddress/port for sockets? does it

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
Rick McGuire wrote:
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> Rick McGuire wrote:

>>> The version that shipped with Geronimo 1.0 was missing a lot of
>>> features (threw unimplemented exceptions, etc.) as well as out right
>>> buggy in places.  The version that just shipped with 1.1 should be
>>> complete (the APIs anyway).   The version shipping with 1.1 only
>>> supports SMTP.  However, the newly created javamail component
>>> (separate build tree) supports POP3, NNTP, and NNTP-POST.  IMAP is
>>> in the works.
>>
>> So this build tree, do you mean trunk?
>
> There are multiple pieces to the javamail support.  The first piece is
> the specs, which is in the specs build tree.  In Geronimo 1.1, the
> SMTP provider that went with this was a module in Geronimo
> (javamail-transport).  A couple weeks ago, I created a new javamail
> repository that contains all of the providers.  This project also
> builds an uber-jar that contains the specs and the providers.  The
> source for this is:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/javamail/trunk
>

> One of the javamail changes I recently submitted for [RTC] review will
> remove the javamail-transport module from the Geronimo code tree, and
> replace it with a dependency on the javamail-providers jar file.
Thanks for the info Rick.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.